Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your religion...

Re: Your religion...

Me shaking God's hand. Discovering Noah's boat. Finding one shred of evidence apart from a single book and the others it has spawned.

Physical, undeniable, scientific, rock solid proof.

Let me ask this. Suppose at one moment, God's voice boomed out of the heavens and declared his existence. Suppose everyone on Earth heard him (in their own languages, or whatever is necessary for them to hear and understand). However, this voice was not picked up on any recording equipment. What would you believe then?

Why do people even care about what a faceless, anonymous guy on an internet message board thinks?

Me shaking God's hand. Discovering Noah's boat.
    They did find remains of what they belive is Noah's boat.

I don't belive in physical, undeniable, scientific, rock solid proof. While there is only one truth, there exists a problem that no one person has the whole truth though some have it more than others. People like Newton where jackasses who didn't understand anything, even his gravity theory was screwed up and was recently revisited (all theories aobve it are now in question during the revisitation phase).

I think this thread doesn't really belong on this board though. I predict it will either end up a 'I hate people who belive in things' or 'I hate people who beilve in theories' thread.

Let me ask this. *Suppose at one moment, God's voice boomed out of the heavens and declared his existence. *Suppose everyone on Earth heard him (in their own languages, or whatever is necessary for them to hear and understand). *However, this voice was not picked up on any recording equipment. *What would you believe then?
    Nope. But it would be enough to spark interest and debate on the subject after it was discovered that EVERYONE heard the same thing.

Why do people even care about what a faceless, anonymous guy on an internet message board thinks?
    You do realize that question is asking what the faceless, anonymous guys on the internet (or at least this BBS) think, right? :

They did find remains of what they belive is Noah's boat.
    Prove it was Noah's.

I'm Roman Catholic.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
    Thats me too

While I do respect the general concepts of morality pushed forward by the Church, I do find it rather hypocritical of them to expect us to follow rules that They themselves do not abide by. I also do not like the arrogance that they display in dealing with us (the uneducated common people) sometimes.

I'll do what I think is best for me, my family, and whomever my friends should happen to be...regardless of what the Catholic Church tells me to do.
    The Catholic Church doesn't tell you what to do, we provide you with the best way to live your life. What you decide upon is your decision. But if there has been someone who has been telling you what to do who claims to be Catholic, I find that quite sad. It seems that a lot of University 'groups' are like this.

On the topic of cloning, (Which I don't support btw) the reason the Catholic Church does not support it is: We believe that every person has their own soul. When you die, you continue to live (Jesus died, rose to heaven, etc). Therefore, cloning a person is like trying to replicate their soul (Something like that anyway)

For those of you convinced that there is no God, (I'm not trying to make you believe, its up to you) how can you explain how the universe first got here? Sure, the planets might have been made from explosions, whatever, but who/what created the universe?

Counterstrike: Who else built great big boats to carry animals around? ;D

Its good to see that we _can_ have a good conversation about religion without it turning into a slinging match.

The views expressed above are totally my own and are not meant to convert, change or annoy anyone.

Prove it was Noah's.
    I agree, thats why I said they belive. Prove it's not. Prove it is. Both are just as hard.

The Catholic Church doesn't tell you what to do, we provide you with the best way to live your life. What you decide upon is your decision. But if there has been someone who has been telling you what to do who claims to be Catholic, I find that quite sad.
    How do the ten commandments not tell me what to do? From my perspective, the bible is more of an instruction manual than anything. Although I will admit that I find Revelation a particularly interesting read (John's vision of the end of the world).

On the topic of cloning, (Which I don't support btw) the reason the Catholic Church does not support it is: We believe that every person has their own soul. When you die, you continue to live (Jesus died, rose to heaven, etc). Therefore, cloning a person is like trying to replicate their soul (Something like that anyway)
    But if physically it is a different person, wouldn't a new soul have been created? If all humans have souls, wouldn't it be just as conceivable to think that a clone would recieve one as well?

For those of you convinced that there is no God, (I'm not trying to make you believe, its up to you) how can you explain how the universe first got here? Sure, the planets might have been made from explosions, whatever, but who/what created the universe?
    I have no idea who did, if anyone. How was God created?

Counterstrike: Who else built great big boats to carry animals around? *;D
    The United States Navy. :P

Its good to see that we _can_ have a good conversation about religion without it turning into a slinging match.
    Agreed, I enjoy having a conversation and not a flame war.

Both are just as hard.
    Agreed, but looking at it from my perspective, I would tend to assume that it is not and wait for proof it is, rather than vice versa. As I said before, I'm not to keen on the whole faith thing.

I have no idea who did, if anyone. How was God created?
    The basic idea is that God wasn't created; God has always been there. He has no time constraints, no gender (he is just how it is represented), etc ...

If God was created, then that would mean there is something bigger than God, making that being, well, God.