Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your religion...

Re: Your religion...

I'm Roman Catholic.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

I was baptized a roman catholic but I'm not a very religious person.

While I do respect the general concepts of morality pushed forward by the Church, I do find it rather hypocritical of them to expect us to follow rules that They themselves do not abide by. I also do not like the arrogance that they display in dealing with us (the uneducated common people) sometimes.

I'll do what I think is best for me, my family, and whomever my friends should happen to be...regardless of what the Catholic Church tells me to do.

I'm agnostic. I believe there is something to life more than what generally accepted science says, but I don't know if it's a god, a living planet where your soul returns to (Gaia theory), or another dimension that is of the mind. I hope there's something, or else death would mean oblivion.

I hope there's something, or else death would mean oblivion.
    This is why I support cloning...

It would be sweet if it were one day possible to create an exact dupe of your memories and implant them in a 3-4 year old clone of yourself. Now that would be worth my money.

Screw my children...they can earn their own money after I die.

i'm an atheist
    some really weird shit would have to happen to change that
    I second that.

I see no reason to fabricate something in my mind and then worship this fabrication. I believe in facts. If someone *proves* to me that a god exists, then I will accept that a god exists. "It says so in a 2000 year old book!" is not proof.

Is there such a thing as NGenenism ?

otherwise I would go with Ateist.

oh NGene, if I worshipped your body, would you hold it against me.... *couldn't resist*

I'm pretty much a pure blooded scientist, and I do not need super-natural agencies to explain the world. We have largely figured out how the universe works, certainly at the molecular level, and we understand how life gets going and evolves.

I don't consider myself an atheist, however. I simply look at the facts and see no evidence for gods (or any other super natural forces).

I'm agnostic. I believe there is something to life more than what generally accepted science says, but I don't know if it's a god, a living planet where your soul returns to (Gaia theory), or another dimension that is of the mind. I hope there's something, or else death would mean oblivion.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

I tend to also agree with cga's post above.

I was baptized and confirmed as a Lutheran, however, after much conversation and questioning, I was not convinced. The only reason I ever went to church in the first place is because my mother is a die hard christian (something which annoys me constantly.)

Perhaps the biggest thing about religion that bothers me is that I find it very hard to accept things on faith alone. The idea of not questioning a book because the book instructs you not to question is beyond me. The more I see the dedicated christians/catholics/muslims/etc, I cannot help but think that they are mindless sheep, accepting everything they are told without question on reasoning of faith.

One of my friends who is an athiest also presented an interesting hypothesis to me a few weeks ago. The idea of religion as a drug. You do it, it makes you feel good, and you become so caught up in it that it destroys your life ... however, I can't explain it as well as he did, because it is not my argument.

I've posted on this issue before. I believe that religion is cultural mythology. I no more believe in Christianity, Islam, Buhddism, or any other religion any more than I believe in Greek gods, Roman gods, Norse gods Egyptian gods, Aztec gods, Incan gods, etc, etc, etc ....

The scientific method has shown to be the best way we have to explore how the universe and reality as we understand it came to being. There are probably truths about the universe that we can't understand because our brains aren't advanced enough, in the same way that a dog can't understand calculus. But to me, the idea of a "creator" in my image is simplistic. Marx had it right when he said that "Religion is the opiate of the masses".

I have a question for all of you who do not believe in a religion. What would be the absolute minimum necessary for you to believe?