Thread: Looking for free webhosts.

Looking for free webhosts.

I'm looking for good free webhosts.

One should allow uploading files larger than 900k, and the other should allow hotlinking. Other features are a plus, but don't really matter. Can you guys recommend some good ones?

Re: Looking for free webhosts.

http://www.crosswinds.net/

and back in the day when I had a site on their server it was 100% ad free.. but now it has popups. I don't know about support, you have to check their page NGene.

Mentor

i use free.prohosting.com

it has banners on it but they are not over powering like most sites and i dont know about the upload restrictions but there is no limit on harddrive space

brinkster.com has 30megs and no banners but thet run on Win2k (kinda slow). kyd.net if it's back up was a good one a few years back. What are you going to put on the site? Why not run it from your own box or get some guy geek to run it for you (we are sensitive that way).

The best thing to to do is to try to convince a friend to host your website. *This way you can negotiate what kind of things you can have on your website instead of reading some really long agreement.

Speaking of which, I would let you if I could get away with it. I'm on a university backbone, but they don't like us running certain daemons on our machines. I don't publish the urls my websites that often for this reason. I have to run it on a non-standard port (so that my university doesn't find out), which confuses people.

Isn't there anyone on this board that has some extra space for her?

Use the Error691 webspace.
    The login is made from here:
    http://www.error691.com/cartel/news/...omepages.shtml
    The advanced webspace may be somewhat of a pain to setup, but you can always open a basic account and then mail admin@error691.com asking for the adv account to be activated.
    Apart from the possibly painful registration, the site has everything you could ask for: unlimited webspace, no banners, no ads, no popups, allows leeching (hotlinking) and there's no limit to the size of the uploads.

Mentor

Use the Error691 webspace.
    The login is made from here:
    http://www.error691.com/cartel/news/...omepages.shtml
    The advanced webspace may be somewhat of a pain to setup, but you can always open a basic account and then mail admin@error691.com asking for the adv account to be activated.
    Apart from the possibly painful registration, the site has everything you could ask for: unlimited webspace, no banners, no ads, no popups, allows leeching (hotlinking) and there's no limit to the size of the uploads.
    Trying to sign up:

Genesis Web Authoring System [ Login | Sign Up ]

Creating account...

Error: unable to resolve hostname 'netmail.home.com' to IP address - Unknown error - Unknown error #0x2AF9 (lookup 0x13D).
    <offtopic>Gotta love getting "Unknown error" messages. It tells me that the programmer has no idea what his program is doing.</offtopic>

Ouch... Try sending a mail to admin@error691.com , tell him I told you about the webspace and ask for the activation.

He's accepted you, the space is now active.

Mentor

He's accepted you, the space is now active.
    i set up an account like 3 days ago and i e-mailed him , and he has'nt gotten back to me yet? :-/

my account isn't even active ?

oh well i guess i'll go somewhere else :-/