Thread: Finding ALL network settings and NIC info

Finding ALL network settings and NIC info

Did this make the posting this time? :roll: Please help
    I need to find all of my network setting and IP addresses, including full computer name, all IP settings, routing table DNS IP, network card speed and duplex. I beleive that i hav e found them all but my NIC card information. However i was told that I'm still missing network settings and i'm so new that i don't know what they may be. DHCP setting? where to find? Please see the information below that i have found and let me know what and where i may find the rest.

Host Name = califarm.myfarm.com

/etc/resolv.conf
    Nameserver = xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
    Nameserver = xxx.xx.xxx.xx
    Nameserver = xxx.xx.x.xx
    Search = califarm.myfarm.com (Same as gateway IP)

/etc/sysconfig/network
    Gateway=xxx.xx.x.xx
    Host = califarm.myfarm.com

ifconfig
    Eth0 = xxx.xxx.x.xx
    Mask:xxx.xxx.xxx.0
    Hwaddr 00:xx:5B:xx:EF:xx (Does this have anything to do with my NIC)
    Bcast:xxx.xxx.x.255
    inet6 addr: fe80::xx:5bff:fexx:efxx/64 Scope:Link (Does this?)
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric (OR this?)

Route
    Kernel IP routing table:
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    xxx.xxx.x.x * xxx.xxx.xxx.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    xxx.xxx.x.0 * xxx.xxx.xxx.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    xxx.xxx.0.0 * xxx.xxx.xxx.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    default xxx.xxx.1.2x 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

As i said above I'm desperate I though all was there but not what is missing? Where can i get it and where or where can i find the NIC info?
    Lost in La La land - caligal

Hi caligal

I'm new also but I believe the information you gave has what you are looking for.

Etho is your NIC card.

What are you running? as an OS that is. I am not sure about anything but Fedora Core but you should be able to go to Desktop> System settings> Network.

If it is anything like Fedora Core 4 there will be a Devices tab and Eth0 will be indicated there. Double click on it and somewhere in there it will tell if you are static IP or DHCP. Default is DHCP so that it what it should be unless you changed it during or after install.

Lance aka latcarf

Quote Originally Posted by latcarf
    Hi caligal

I'm new also but I believe the information you gave has what you are looking for.

Etho is your NIC card.

What are you running? as an OS that is. I am not sure about anything but Fedora Core but you should be able to go to Desktop> System settings> Network.

If it is anything like Fedora Core 4 there will be a Devices tab and Eth0 will be indicated there. Double click on it and somewhere in there it will tell if you are static IP or DHCP. Default is DHCP so that it what it should be unless you changed it during or after install.

Lance aka latcarf
    p.s Linuxhomenetworking.com has some great HowTos... 6 weeks ago I knew nothing about Linux and their HowTos helped A LOT!

Start with these two in the order they are posted:
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...work-intro.htm
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...work-linux.htm

Then this is the index to all the networking HowTos (30 or so all together):
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/#Linux

hope this helps

to find dhcp

hi ,
    i got that u find all information but not aware of whether it is dhcp or u can find static or dhcp the command for red hat linux is ntsysv.
    by this command u can get same window as in windows , where two options are there one for dhcp if it is dhcp ip is not shown while if it is static u will get same ip address as of ifconfig , thats it.

Finding NIC card information.

I want to thank you all for your replies. I'm still very new at this but learning a lot each day. I'm also learning that i need to give more details and specifics when i post, working on that.
    It turns out that the information i needed was provided to me by a very simple tool
    mii-tool
    in my case the actual command was:
    /sbin/mii-tool
    I needed to find out the speed and duplex of the nic card and that gave it to me straight up.
    Hopefully this may help someone else along the way. I have a brand new question coming right up behind this one.
    Thanx again - caligal :wink: [/u]