Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Under Age Drinking

Re: Under Age Drinking

Counterstrike , i agree with you!

I dont believe people 18 years old are mature enough to be able to drink alcohol. I dont care where you live or what you do, 18 is too young.
    Well I've been drinking since I was 15, and I have a very relaxed relationship with my drinking habits, but when I look around a other people my age, I must say that half of them are out of control.
    And after the government issued the changes that made it illegal for people under 15 to buy alcohol, it's only gotten worse - I think it's more a question of parenting - My parents made sure I was introduced to alcohol with respect for it properties, not to say that I've never been "out of control pissed". I allow that to happen once a year when I meet up with my old grade school class and have a christmas dinner.

Setting the limits by law isn't really as efficent as good parenting - if youngsters wants to drink, they damn sure are going to get their hands on some beer, law or no law.

If one starts off drinking at a younger age in moderation (key is moderation) when they get to the older ages less time will be spent doing something new.

Forget drinking age, they need to just legalize reefer. Its such nonsense that just because a lot of old white bald guys like to drink (congress, policians in general) that drinking is considered ok and smoking not. Drinking is WAY worse than smoking and I dont see any reason for legal drinking and illegal smoking. How many people die from reefer every year, maybe 10? And shit, a drunk driver can kill 10 people by himself if they really hit something....

Dont get me wrong, I like to drink sometimes, i like alcohol, just think its insane that its considered ok just because.

Legalize the weed!

Agree. But once you are in the service, you can legally drink ( no matter your age ).. *
    That is not a true statement. Drinking age in the service is the same as the states no matter what country you are in. *Kinder, gentler, armed forces and all that. : I have seen several friends go to non -judicial punishment (captain's mast) for the squids here) because of underage drinking in foreign ports. It wasnt that way when I first got it. Once you were overseas, local laws applied. Not that way anymore.

Drinking is WAY worse than smoking
    Agreed

Mentor

Agreed
    i think that just might be the MOST ignorant thing i have ever read. :

you guys cant really be serious ???

can i ask how old you guys are , rick and damasta?

Scenario: Alcohol and Marijuana were both legal

You actually think more people would die from Marijuana than alcohol? I've always said that alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs out there.

Forget drinking age, they need to just legalize reefer. Its such nonsense that just because a lot of old white bald guys like to drink (congress, policians in general) that drinking is considered ok and smoking not. Drinking is WAY worse than smoking and I dont see any reason for legal drinking and illegal smoking. How many people die from reefer every year, maybe 10? And shit, a drunk driver can kill 10 people by himself if they really hit something....

Dont get me wrong, I like to drink sometimes, i like alcohol, just think its insane that its considered ok just because.

Legalize the weed!
    amen!

those who don't agree with this simply do not know what they're talking about. alcohol is far more problematic than weed. when u drink too much the results are unpredictable and u can only hope u don't fuck up ur life. when u smoke too much ur too lazy to do something stupid and some people just fall asleep when they smoked too much.

I think it's more a question of parenting - My parents made sure I was introduced to alcohol with respect for it properties, not to say that I've never been "out of control pissed". I allow that to happen once a year when I meet up with my old grade school class and have a christmas dinner.

Setting the limits by law isn't really as efficent as good parenting - if youngsters wants to drink, they damn sure are going to get their hands on some beer, law or no law.
    I couldn't agree more. Of course laws can do something, but good parenting and education are a lot better. Changing attitudes is more efficient than changing laws.

In Finland people are allowed to buy alcohol at the age of 18, but I remember when I was 15, most 15 year olds knew how and where to get alcohol or drugs. I bet they know these days, too.

Remember how some kids think. Forbidden things are cool. For example, trying to get alcohol and getting drunk is cool and "mature" because only adults are allowed to do it. Some kids may be curious about alcohol: why people under certain age can't buy it, and what's it like to be drunk.

However, if parents honestly tell their kids what alcohol is, what it can cause, let the kids taste some beer or wine, and talk about alcohol like it is - a nice thing when used properly, a bad thing when misused - drinking alcohol isn't anything exciting or mysterious or "mature" to kids.

Of course the kids still probably will get drunk, but they'll do it, no matter if it's legal or illegal, but with good parenting or education the kids may at least know what they're doing (although they may not remember it the next day ). And like tolstoy said, problem drinkers are problem drinkers no matter what their age.