Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Under Age Drinking

Re: Under Age Drinking

Alcoholism will be a problem as long as alcohol is available.
    Alcoholism will be a problem long after alcohol stops being available, if such a day ever comes.

Alcoholism will be a problem long after alcohol stops being available, if such a day ever comes.
    umm, duh. go look up history on prohibition in the states.

umm, duh. go look up history on prohibition in the states.
    That was my point.

By "available" I mean obtainable, legal or not. If people can get to alcohol, alcoholism will be present.

Well, I've never been to Europe, so I will not even begin to think I know anything about the drinking problems over there.

I honestly think 21 is a good age to set it at. Although people complain about military person(s) dying for their country and not being able to drink ... well, you obviously don't have any friends in the military. I know 6, and all of them can get into bars, regardless of age. People respect someone who shows them a military ID.

As far as why I believe it should be 21, well, have you talked to any people who are under 21? Granted, some people are very mature individuals when they are 17, but does that mean they can handle the responsibility of drinking? I believe there would be even more abuse of alcoholic beverages if kids were allowed to buy alcohol at a younger age. It teaches them responsibility. Most police officers (around here anyways) could care less about underage drinking, it is just the manner in which the drunk person(s) act towards them that determines their reaction. This just gives them an excuse to do something about it if need be.

What would you propose changing the law to? 18? Now you're allowing kids who are still attending High School to drink (and hence, make it much more accessible to those underage who are friends at school). I think it would be a mistake to change it.

Oh yes, and I just turned 21 a month ago.

By "available" I mean obtainable, legal or not. If people can get to alcohol, alcoholism will be present.
    That's impossible too. All you need is yeast and some liquid with fructose in it (like fruit juice) to make ethanol. In order to make alcohol unobtainable, we'd have to destroy our ecosystem.

And I've never done anything illegal so I can see where a law would help. Before you mention it, that warrant I have in Tyler is just a mistake I'm going to clear up.

Could this be another topic akin to religeon and politics?

and act more maturely while drunk.
    Is this a serious quote? More maturely when drunk? Some people make me sad. :'(

Could this be another topic akin to religeon and politics?
    Maybe....

Mentor

Counterstrike , i agree with you!

I dont believe people 18 years old are mature enough to be able to drink alcohol. I dont care where you live or what you do, 18 is too young.