Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How much do you charge?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you charge?

How much do you charge?

...for computer work? I am working on this computer, and I dunno what to charge. I normally don't charge to friends, but this guy told me to charge him for parts and labor (second time I have worked for his computer.)and he maks a lot more money than me
    Anyway, his machine was hit by lightning. I had to go to his house, change power supply, then take it home to check why it wouldn't boot. Had a burned motherboard. I had to drive around town a lot and spend two days looking for a low-end cpu/mb combo. Anyway, I ams pending friday night replacing those, and I will have to reinstall the OS and save his files before doing so, then go to his house to set it up tomorow. So how much should I charge him? I know a computer store nearby would charge for that almost $200 plus parts, but I think that is too much. However, I don't want to undercharge him either.

Mentor

Re: How much do you charge?

When I was doing computer work, I was charging $35/hour. You could also include travel time.

Mentor

Almost forgot ... Make sure you don't get involved too deep with this type of work. Check out this thread: http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/Y...93&start=2

I know how it is like. *I workin in IT, so I often get my users asking me stuff about their personal computers. *I don't plan to get it as a regular side job, but I have found out two things:

1. It helps to keep the managers happy. (helps your reputation. *This guy is a manager. Or a Chief Engineer, which on our business puts him on the same league)
    2. Since they are going to ask for my help anyway, I might as well get some money out of it.

Besides, I guess I feel uncomfortable saying no when someone asks me for help. *I will try to keep it on the very casual side, though. *$35/hr seems like a goood price. Thanks.

I went for $50/h for the people I knew, (local PC shops were $70/h) and for people I didn't know, I went 70-80/h based on the work, and the location.

Damn. I better raise my prices. :-/

well if you drive around town for two days looking for a mobo,
    each day = $100 minimum net to you.

Kind Mastermind

You could always try asking him how much he thinks your work is worth. *Be careful, though, and don't except a payment that is too low. *Tell him what the local computer store is charging and explain to him that you don't want to charge that much, but that you would like to have your time compensated for appropriately. *Of course, it all depends on how much you trust the person. *If you don't trust him too much, then charge him $35 dollars an hour or so.

Good Guru

I wouldn't try to go by-the-book for two reasons.

1. He is your ( kind of ) superior.
    2. It's not nice to over charge someone for it.

So if I were you, I would find out how much it costs to repair at local shop and charge a little less. But I'd make sure that he knows that travelling around town looking for needed parts ( which is not available at normal store ) are out of my good will and that I didn't charge for it ( which normal store would get him to upgrade to everything up-to-date stuff ).

I would say $ 35 an hours is at the low side ( especially here in California ) but depending on the place, it may as well be okay. I think here is almost the same as Washington area, $ 70 an hour for most stuff.

Almost forgot ... Make sure you don't get involved too deep with this type of work. Check out this thread: http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/Y...93&start=2
    Should have followed your advice. *Ended up charging him $297, of which $170 were parts. *Spentmore than 8 hours working with it and a couple of days driving around looking for parts. * Ended up setting it up tonight, and the stupid machine wouldn't boot when I got over there. *I had to disasemble completely, take all the parts out, put it back up again, then set up their internet and email becasue they didn't knew how. *And I will have to go back tomorrow over there to set their printer.
    Bad deal I think...
    I know the work was worth more than that, but I didn't dared to really.
    Plus I dind't had a chance to see how stable the machine is now. They were kinda hurrying me on it, so I couldn't test it much. It froze on me once, though....