Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trying out Windows XP

Re: Trying out Windows XP

Sys specs:

T-bird 700@700 (Windows doesn't like being overclocked during install)
    Epox 8KTA3 KT-133A
    15 gig IBM GXP75 hdd, at the time 2.5 gigs was dedicated to bloatXP
    ATI Radeon 64 meg using whatever win2k drivers were available at the time (ATI and hundres of users had them working and they did.)
    Pioneer DVD 105S (auto detected and works fine in anything else)
    SB Live! Value (worked fine with the right drivers too)
    Pcnet32 NIC (auto detected and worked )
    300 watt PS
    3.5 floppy

Every piece of software works fine in 98/ME/2k just had probs in XP. Hell Stellar Fontier ran better in Wine than in XP. But yes I figured that with a MS OS it was I who was the problem, not my hardware or the software.
    : : :

Great I upgraded my gf' desktop PC (Compaq 5696) to Windows XP and now the dvd drive is all funky - XP hard crashes when we try to use it..

I'm now totally convinced, Windows XP is the best thing that ever happened to Linux.

It's nothing but a bloated, slow and error filed OS which has no future with me.

Yes, pretty sad. I mean we never hear of someone having problem getting linux to work :
    Yes, but that's because hardware manufacturers don't supply drivers for us. Some don't even provide information on how their devices work. I don't think there's any hardware designed without Windows drivers, so it should be able to run with anything.

- Itīs pretty. The default look is decent, thatīs what I use with some minor modifications. A heavily modified XP can look amazing, nothing in Linux can compete with the way XP can look. In my opinion of course.
    Are you kidding? I thought the gui looked immature myself. I had nothing wrong with the old Windows gui, but this new XP one is like a step backwards. (Yes, I know you can use the old one, but the gui isn't my only problem with XP.)

Are you kidding? I thought the gui looked immature myself. I had nothing wrong with the old Windows gui, but this new XP one is like a step backwards. (Yes, I know you can use the old one, but the gui isn't my only problem with XP.)
    A GUI is based on personal preference. Its hard to debate the quality of somthing like that.

A GUI is based on personal preference. Its hard to debate the quality of somthing like that.
    Yeah, but it's a lot of fun to act like your opinion is all that matters. [smiles]