Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Windows XP

Re: Trying out Windows XP

Just took XP to the test... took my US XP Professional CD to a friends place and tried to install it... it BSOD' in the install, both in upgrade and install from scratch. And my friends PC passed the XP test and we used the newest autodownloaded install software. Now my friend wants to dualboot Windows and Linux, untill he feel safe switching 100% to Linux, as long as I show him around in his new world..

XP provides us with another convert...

All hail Microsoft

Just took XP to the test... took my US XP Professional CD to a friends place and tried to install it... it BSOD' in the install, both in upgrade and install from scratch. And my friends PC passed the XP test and we used the newest autodownloaded install software. Now my friend wants to dualboot Windows and Linux, untill he feel safe switching 100% to Linux, as long as I show him around in his new world..

XP provides us with another convert...

All hail Microsoft
    I dont understand what you guys are doing wrong with these installs.. I have installed it at least a dozen times on that many different configurations. I have had no trouble with XP, are you guys installing these on OEMs ?

I dont understand what you guys are doing wrong with these installs.. I have installed it at least a dozen times on that many different configurations. I have had no trouble with XP, are you guys installing these on OEMs ?
    Nope this guy brought a PC like mine, only with a SCSI burner in it and less ram - yet XP installs on mine and not on his, even with the SCSI controller removed and the bios settings being like mine.

I despise the corporate practices of M$ as much as the next person that believes in fair competition, but I am finding that their OS's (at a desktop level) have improved considerably. When it came to a choice between 9x and RH 7.1 for the desktop machine, I opted for RH (I still have to be able to boot to a Windows OS for work). I swayed between 2K and RH/Mandrake, but the office apps just don't render as well (read pretty).

I've only been using XP for a few days (from 2K), but it is *flying* on my PIII 1G with 384 legs of Lamb. Much faster than 2K or Mandy 8.2. I was *extremely* skeptical, and was truly expecting to be disappointed. I'll be interested to see if this keeps up.

"Messed with a computer" means check e-mail on AOL : that doesnt qualify as messing with a computer, a monkey can check e-mail.
    A monkey could use Windows 98 for general purposes too. If a 2 year old child can, anyone should be able to. Windows XP is like taking a spoon and making it more idiot proof.

What are your systems specs? You must have been doing something wrong.
    What do you need system specs for? Does Windows XP only run on certain hardware? That's pretty sad when Microsoft's newest operating system won't run on the same hardware as Linux.

Associate

A monkey could use Windows 98 for general purposes too. If a 2 year old child can, anyone should be able to. Windows XP is like taking a spoon and making it more idiot proof.
    no win xp isnt like taking a spoon and making it more idiot proof... win xp is like taking an old spoon and adding a cute car pic on it... then its like ms making ppl believe they cant eat themself... ms makes ppl believe they are so stupid that they need ms feeding them with that spoon... and that no1 can eat with the old spoon and u must get the new spoon with car pic or else u cant eat

yea i know this sounds stupid but hey, ms is stupid 2... :

What do you need system specs for? Does Windows XP only run on certain hardware? That's pretty sad when Microsoft's newest operating system won't run on the same hardware as Linux.
    Yes, pretty sad. I mean we never hear of someone having problem getting linux to work :

Ok back to reality. I like Win XP. Why!? I imagine some of you are screaming right now. Hereīs why:

- Itīs fast enough on my duron 700 with 256mb ram. Not like fluxbox in Gentoo, but comparable to KDE 3.0.

- Itīs rock stable. No crashes, no BSODs yet. Much more stable than Gentoo with KDE 3.0. Fluxbox have never crashed though, just KDE.

- Boot time. It boots almost as fast as Gentoo, nuff said.

- Itīs pretty. The default look is decent, thatīs what I use with some minor modifications. A heavily modified XP can look amazing, nothing in Linux can compete with the way XP can look. In my opinion of course.

- Ease of use. Windows is a lot easier to use as a desktop OS than linux. Thatīs just the way it is. Some of you here will not agree with me of course. Are you used to being wrong?

I still enjoy using linux more than windows though. Itīs just more fun.

Yes, pretty sad. I mean we never hear of someone having problem getting linux to work :

Ok back to reality. I like Win XP. Why!? I imagine some of you are screaming right now. Hereīs why:

- Itīs fast enough on my duron 700 with 256mb ram. Not like fluxbox in Gentoo, but comparable to KDE 3.0.

- Itīs rock stable. No crashes, no BSODs yet. Much more stable than Gentoo with KDE 3.0. Fluxbox have never crashed though, just KDE.

- Boot time. It boots almost as fast as Gentoo, nuff said.

- Itīs pretty. The default look is decent, thatīs what I use with some minor modifications. A heavily modified XP can look amazing, nothing in Linux can compete with the way XP can look. In my opinion of course.

- Ease of use. Windows is a lot easier to use as a desktop OS than linux. Thatīs just the way it is. Some of you here will not agree with me of course. Are you used to being wrong?

I still enjoy using linux more than windows though. Itīs just more fun.
    Windows is Windows, Linux is Unix. Bananas and potatos.

Both my (assembeled) computer run XP Pro, my laptop and my desktop. I like the OS. I've never had a problem with crashes (welll...a few with the laptop, but that was a driver issue, and didn't have anything to do with XP itself) and its always been very fast. XP is faster than 2k was on my laptop.

However, I'm going to be linuxifying my old desktop into a server of some sort...so don't cast me out of the linux community just yet