Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Trying out Windows XP - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Windows XP

Re: Trying out Windows XP

...i think 2k is the best out of the ms bunch ... but 2k is at work and i beat the hell out of it , remove and reinstall every trial piece of crap program, i have an *external zip AND cd burner constantly being moved around , belive it or not but it's been almost a year and it has not crashed yet. ;D
    I concur, Win2K is the only MS OS I run at home and at work. I got rid of all that other Win9x/ME/XP bs. XP is a pain in the ass.

It's funny, people are willing do deal with junk as long as it looks pretty.
    That's sig material...
    ::copy-pastes it to possible signatures text file::

Mentor

If there's anyone today who hasn't touched a computer, they probably never will. Seriously, I'm sure at least 95% of people in non-third world countries have messed with a computer at least a little.
    Dude you'll be surprised how many people DONT use or are afraid to use computers, dont be nieve, about the use of computers, just because YOU have one dosent mean 95% of the world uses one.

"Messed with a computer" means check e-mail on AOL : that doesnt qualify as messing with a computer, a monkey can check e-mail.

I played with several display computers at Comp USA running Windows XP. I considered it a once (is enough) in a lifetime experience.

Windows users write code?
    well my gf does... but only Delphi, does that count?

But I meant more for HTML and stuff like that.

delphi definitely has the Ralinx Seal of Approval

You guys are retarded ;D

Windows XP is very nice, I have the Professional version and it never crashes or locks up.

The only time I ever restart it is when my game crashes (due to a memory leak in the game's code)

Plus, it runs very fast on my AMD 1ghz system with 256MB of DDR.

I think who's computer your trying it out on makes a world of difference.

Exactly. The hardware it is being run on is most likely crap or not configured properly. This is even true for half of the problems people encounter trying to run Linux. he77, even 95/98 can run forever without re-install if it wasn't for faulty 3rd party software. My moms P200 with 95 has been running the past 4 years without a single reinstall. The only problem she had with that box is then a lighning storm fried her modem.(lucky it didn't fry anything else).
    The thing with OEM(Dell, Gateway, etc.) computers is that they are made with cheap hardware and come pre-installed with a turdload of useless 3rd party crap that eventualy slowdown and kill the install.

I remember one day after I did a fresh 98 install two or three months after I got my rig I had 5 BSoD's happen in under 2 minutes. All I was using was mIRC and maybe AIM.

I installed WinXP Corp which I borrowed from a friend of mine. It gave me 5 or 6 hard disk errors before install then installed fine. After install I did the via gart, radeon, etc drivers and tried to install a couple games. Homeworld BSoD'd around 95% multiple times. Stellar Frontier ran like I was playing it on a P90, and Half Life once installed couldn't detect it's own CD. XP proved to be completly useless aside for using IRC and checking e-mail.

I remember one day after I did a fresh 98 install two or three months after I got my rig I had 5 BSoD's happen in under 2 minutes. All I was using was mIRC and maybe AIM.

I installed WinXP Corp which I borrowed from a friend of mine. It gave me 5 or 6 hard disk errors before install then installed fine. After install I did the via gart, radeon, etc drivers and tried to install a couple games. Homeworld BSoD'd around 95% multiple times. Stellar Frontier ran like I was playing it on a P90, and Half Life once installed couldn't detect it's own CD. XP proved to be completly useless aside for using IRC and checking e-mail.
    What are your systems specs? You must have been doing something wrong.