Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Trying out Windows XP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out Windows XP

Trying out Windows XP

My girlfriend forgot her laptop at my place and I "h4x0r3d" her password so I could try on XP for size.

And after tinkering with the whole thing for a bit and setting cleartype on, I must say the desktop is nearly as pretty as my Linux + KDE system.

But by God it's slow, even though on this machine... and it's a 1.1GHz Celeron with 256 MB ram..

And the interface is just so annoying, I mean I could live with the Windows 98, but this is just so... arghh...

After a few hours in Windows hell I just can't believe it... how do people live with this horrible OS ??

Re: Trying out Windows XP

They don't live. They survive.

I must say that I don't understand my gf... she says she like XP, because it has CUTE details and that it's easy to use (note I had to struggle to get use to the new interface and I HATE it) - I mean, is that what makes an OS these days, eyecandy ??

And in the few hours I tinkered with it it crashed twice, is this normal or am I just skilled ? - I mean everybody says that XP is the pinnical of development and stability.. I don't really see it...

And if M$ is going to steal neat features from other OS', why didn't he steal the middlemouse button cut and paste from X ??

I'm serious... the damn thing didn't even come with a decent word processor / text editor... This "wordpad" thing is hellish... I'm tempted to say that my throne of evil which previously has belonged to Emacs and Gnome as a shared effort now belongs solely to Wordpad XP. It has no shortcut keys, no systax highlighting, no nothing..

I will however grant them bonus points for their package management system, aside the totally uncalled for nonstop reboot jam sessions. It worked perfectly, but I was no packages for ViM or for KDE... let alone OpenOffice or Mozilla. Only packages with strange names like bugfix something or another.

I really hate XP. I like NT. Why could M$ not have simply improved upon NT without slopping all all that horrible crud in XP?

Grrrrrrrrr...........................

I can even deal with 98 or 2K. Not XP.

It has no ... systax highlighting
    Windows users write code?

I must say that I don't understand my gf... she says she like XP, because it has CUTE details and that it's easy to use (note I had to struggle to get use to the new interface and I HATE it) - I mean, is that what makes an OS these days, eyecandy ??

And in the few hours I tinkered with it it crashed twice, is this normal or am I just skilled ? - I mean everybody says that XP is the pinnical of development and stability.. I don't really see it...

And if M$ is going to steal neat features from other OS', why didn't he steal the middlemouse button cut and paste from X ??

I'm serious... the damn thing didn't even come with a decent word processor / text editor... This "wordpad" thing is hellish... I'm tempted to say that my throne of evil which previously has belonged to Emacs and Gnome as a shared effort now belongs solely to Wordpad XP. It has no shortcut keys, no systax highlighting, no nothing..

I will however grant them bonus points for their package management system, aside the totally uncalled for nonstop reboot jam sessions. It worked perfectly, but I was no packages for ViM or for KDE... let alone OpenOffice or Mozilla. Only packages with strange names like bugfix something or another.
    It sounds like your gf's using XP Home (as opposed to XP Professional, correct me if I'm wrong) and you do know that you can change the way XP looks, it doesn't have to look like that Mac OSX-wannabe bubble look.

Bare in mind, XP is for people who've never touched a computer or close to that, or people who just want to get things done without having to learn commands or recompile the kernel to make their computer work.

Mentor

imho i think XP is a piece of crap.

it's too hard to navaigate your way around the start menu ( i know you can change it to look like the old one ) it's just a bunch of eye candy for people who dont usually work with computers.

i think 2k is the best out of the ms bunch , i have 98 at home and it's ok dosent really give me any problems( i dont do any heavy computing either) but 2k is at work and i beat the hell out of it , remove and reinstall every trial piece of crap program, i have an external zip AND cd burner constantly being moved around , belive it or not but it's been almost a year and it has not crashed yet. ;D

god damn it i just jinxed myself , watch it wont boot up in the morning ;D ;D and it'll crash all day log!

imho i think XP is a piece of crap.
    It is. It's funny, though, people are willing do deal with junk as long as it looks pretty.

Bare in mind, XP is for people who've never touched a computer or close to that, or people who just want to get things done without having to learn commands or recompile the kernel to make their computer work.
    If there's anyone today who hasn't touched a computer, they probably never will. Seriously, I'm sure at least 95% of people in non-third world countries have messed with a computer at least a little. My brother knew how to run his games in Win 2k when he was 2 years old. (That starts with putting the cd in the drive and double-clicking the icons or whatever.) If someone who can't read a single word can operate a computer, anyone should be able to.

As for the versions of Windows, I liked 2k the most but it's very slow on an old computer and has a few bugs in it. I would run NT 4 on an older computer, and any of their other crap isn't even a whole operating system in my opinion.

i attempted to try to play with XP when it first came out while at the computer store, but it kept locking up

A co-worker put it on his home system and it BSOD 4 days later.

He's contemplating a RedHat install this weekend. I think Im going to tell him that Best Buy sold out of RedHat distros and that he should install my Slack8 or Suse8