Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Windows Modular Demo Allowed

MS Windows Modular Demo Allowed

linkage:http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-901661.html

Over the objections of Microsoft, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said she would allow nine states seeking stiff sanctions against the company to have a computer expert demonstrate a version of Windows he has developed that can be customized.

Kollar-Kotelly scheduled the presentation for May 15.
    A modular version of Windows is a key demand of the nine states who have rejected a proposed settlement of the four-year-old case as too weak.

The states say a modular version of Windows would level the playing field for non-Microsoft software trying to compete with Microsoft's continued practice of attaching features to the operating system like its Web browser and multimedia player.

But the software giant says it would be technically impossible to offer multiple versions of Windows and would create havoc for consumers and the computer industry.

The non-settling states told the judge that Virginia-based computer testing consultant, James Bach, had built his modular version of Windows using Microsoft's own technology.

Bach, who has worked as a contractor for Microsoft, had created the new version using Windows XP Embedded, a commercial version of Windows designed for specialty devices such as cash registers and automatic teller machines.

Bach will testify that his modular version of Windows was "robust and reliable," Kollar-Kotelly said, citing the states' submission.

The states named Bach as one of two witnesses they want to call at the end of the case to rebut some of Microsoft's arguments.

Microsoft attorneys strongly objected, saying the states should have brought Bach into the case earlier when they were presenting their initial case.

Kollar-Kotelly agreed in part. She said the states' attorneys hired Bach in February, but had made a "tactical decision" not to call him earlier in the case.

But the judge said it was important to hear from someone who had actually "sat down and tried" to create a version of Windows that could be customized.

"I'm going to allow Mr. Bach's testimony primarily for the reason that I think the information should be presented to the court," Kollar-Kotelly said. "I should have it."

Re: MS Windows Modular Demo Allowed

Didnt Gates testify that this was impossible?

Didnt Gates testify that this was impossible?
    Yes.

Good Guru

Oh I so want that modular WinXP ...

isn't it ironic that the very product that M$ created to battle Linux in the embedded market might be the start of their desktop downfall?

isn't it ironic that the very product that M$ created to battle Linux in the embedded market might be the start of their desktop downfall?
    I have a really hard time explaining to people that an OS created to be EYECANDY, would be in any way a logical choice for embedded devices.

I have a really hard time explaining to people that an OS created to be EYECANDY, would be in any way a logical choice for embedded devices.
    i'm talking about XP embedded, that wasn't created to be eyecandy

i'm talking about XP embedded, that wasn't created to be eyecandy
    XP... well I thought it was some sort of stripped down Windows XP.. that's what the name implies.

XP... well I thought it was some sort of stripped down Windows XP.. that's what the name implies.
    well it is a stripped down Windows XP, but the focus isn't on eyecandy. the main objective of XP embedded is to get the XP kernel in embedded devices instead of the linux kernel

well it is a stripped down Windows XP, but the focus isn't on eyecandy. the main objective of XP embedded is to get the XP kernel in embedded devices instead of the linux kernel
    d00d... that's like PURE, PRIMETIME, UNREFINED EVIL !!!