Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confession: I'm from the dark side

Confession: I'm from the dark side

HiHo!

I have a confession to make.....I am a MCSE and MCSA for Windows 2000 ("Microsoft Certified System Engineer" and "Microsoft Certified System Administrator&quot.
    For info what these Certifications are take a look at
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/default.asp
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsa/default.asp
    Does that make me an unworthy Linux user??

I'm proud of these certs because I've put so much energy, time and effort in those exams. The two certs also got me my current job as a SysAdmin in W2K domain with about 50 clients and 10 servers. And it's such a good feeling to get work experience and see how you are getting new knowledge day by day.

But the certs and my work also showed me how unstable and buggy Windows can be so I got interested in Linux more than ever (I've installed Linux 2 or 3 times in the last 2-4 years but somehow I was to lazy to learn the way Linux was ticking - so I switched back to Windows).
    And here I am...with 2 Microsoft Certs, a nice job with a good opportunity to learn and develop, and last but not least the strong intention to learn Linux and some other Unixes inside out.

Maybe I'll get the Linux+ cert too someday....

It just feels a bit weird to hold 2 Microsoft Certifications and wanting to switch to Linux.

Maybe this thread is useless and you don't care about this, but I wanted to get rid of this because I feel like a vegetarian working in a butchery

Re: Confession: I'm from the dark side

Linux is open to everyone. No one is really "unworthy." Many are unprepared, but certainly not unworthy. Heck, I'd say that everyone is worthy of Linux and it's goodness. We Linux zealots have a tendency to proselytize towards sinners such as yourself.

Kind Mastermind

Maybe this thread is useless and you don't care about this, but I wanted to get rid of this because I feel like a vegetarian working in a butchery *
    I think that you will find that most of us, or at least a fair chunk anyway, have got or have at least studied for windows certification. It's smart to have as many os certifications as possible...it makes you more competitive in the market place (let's face it, if M$ offered me a good paying job, I'd take it. I wouldn't stop using Linux, but I would take M$'s money!).

BTW...I like the vegetarian working in a butchery line. You should use it as your sig.

Linux does not close its doors to anyone. *All are welcome.

Many people here, myself included, are also Windows users. *I use Windows at my job about 90% of the time and Linux about 10%. *At home, its 100% Linux.

I am pretty vocal in my dislike of M$ as a company. *I do not care much for their OSs either, though I do like NT Workstation.

So, come on in, pull up a seat and have a beer. *We don't bite. *We'll help you learn about Linux and what it is, and is not. *And we'll all have fun doing it too.

Besides, it is nice to have folks around who can help me out when Word blows up and eats my $50 million dollar proposal two days before closing.

i have to agree with Stryder on that one. I dont currently work in IT (yet). I passed the ms Networking Essentials exam with a 960 out of 1000 a few years back. Been on and off studying for the 2k pro test. As much as we dont want to admit it, you have to know windows to get into IT. But fear not, those who have mastered both the light and dark sides bring balance to the force... ;D

HHAHAA - thats funny.
    Maybe this thread is useless and you don't care about this, but I wanted to get rid of this because I feel like a vegetarian working in a butchery
    anywhoo - i would hope GNU/linux is always inclusive - never exclusive. I know it is far from this in some cases - e.g my distro is better than yours

HiHo!

I have a confession to make.....I am a MCSE and MCSA for Windows 2000 ("Microsoft Certified System Engineer" and "Microsoft Certified System Administrator&quot.
    For info what these Certifications are take a look at
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/default.asp
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsa/default.asp
    Does that make me an unworthy Linux user??

I'm proud of these certs because I've put so much energy, time and effort in those exams. The two certs also got me my current job as a SysAdmin in W2K domain with about 50 clients and 10 servers. And it's such a good feeling to get work experience and see how you are getting new knowledge day by day.

But the certs and my work also showed me how unstable and buggy Windows can be so I got interested in Linux more than ever (I've installed Linux 2 or 3 times in the last 2-4 years but somehow I was to lazy to learn the way Linux was ticking - so I switched back to Windows).
    And here I am...with 2 Microsoft Certs, a nice job with a good opportunity to learn and develop, and last but not least the strong intention to learn Linux and some other Unixes inside out.

Maybe I'll get the Linux+ cert too someday....

It just feels a bit weird to hold 2 Microsoft Certifications and wanting to switch to Linux.

Well at least you have seen the light If you have a lot of spare time, have a go with Slackware. It'll really test your ability to deal with problems and figure out how things work. Or you could even look at LFS. Remember, don't give up with Linux. Hard work does really pay off in the end.

[Yoda]
    Beware.... angry, hatred.. Microsoft products... Those are the path to the darkside.
    [/Yoda]

You have the coolest avatar.

Linux is open to everyone. No one is really "unworthy." Many are unprepared, but certainly not unworthy. Heck, I'd say that everyone is worthy of Linux and it's goodness. We Linux zealots have a tendency to proselytize towards sinners such as yourself.
    I confess. I am unworthy. I have sinned. I do tek support for
    windoze boxen at work.