Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Anyone good with metal work? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone good with metal work?

Good Guru

Re: Anyone good with metal work?

Scotty, my software kinda makes it a bad choice to make a remote - but I thought about it, and I decided against it. because you have to be within a distance that leaves the display readable anyways..

So I figured I would place a suitable connector on the back plate and then just run a cable to the host PC.
    If you are wiring buttons, then the software's support is irellevant. And If you really wanted to do something cool, make the remote have a display and change that along with any changes in the main unit Sounds more difficult than it really is.

If you are wiring buttons, then the software's support is irellevant. And If you really wanted to do something cool, make the remote have a display and change that along with any changes in the main unit Sounds more difficult than it really is.
    That could be an idea for a later setup, right now I have all the peices for the current one, except the case..
    Really nice idea though, and it doesn't sound all that hard - I used to be rather good at electrical design, I even considered studing to be and Electrical Engineer

Good Guru

It really isnt that difficult, and it seems that you could more than easily build the darn thing from a starter kit and customize the rest.

definitely a great way to spice the sucker up.

I was thinking.. why not build the display and the buttons into the arm rest on my sofa... then I would never have to leave it..

Good Guru

I was thinking.. why not build the display and the buttons into the arm rest on my sofa... then I would never have to leave it..
    Use the Tim Taylor model. It has a toilet and a beer dipsenser in it.

I've found, after 30+ years in the machining industry, that someone somewhere makes exactly what you want; it's amazing the things that are available, if you just look. Check out some on-line electronic kit vendors- usually cases aren't very expensve if you've already got the internals.
    If you insist on having a polished aluminium faceplate, do all your cutting work, and make sure you haven't forgotten anything, then take a couple of wooden dollies and using little taps with a small hammer, remove any dents or distortions from the faceplate. When you've gottenit as flat as you possibly can, take wet or dry paper (that's an abrasive paper tat can be used wet or dry) #400 grit. Moisten it with a light lubricant, like WD-40 and put your faceplate face own on the paper. With both hands, move the faceplate in a figure 8 pattern (it's called lapping). Be prepaired to spend quite a while doing this- the length of time depends on how flat you were able to get it with the hammer and dollies.. Occasionally turn the faceplate over and take a look at it, you'll notice that it looks better all the time. When you're happy with the appearence, wash all the guck off the face with laquer thinner (be careful, it's very inflammable and the fumes can be harmful) Let it dry, and using a clean lintless cloth, wash it again, after it's completely dry. I think you might want to spray a clear-coat over the faceplate to protect it from scratches; aluminum is very soft and scratches easily. To make it easy on yourself, see if you can get hold of a set of "panel punches". They'll put your hols in without distorting the material, that means less hammer and dolly time, and less time lapping.
    Or you can just say the hell with it. ;D

Charles Dexter Ward speaks wisely!!
    I am a Tool & Die maker with 20 years under my ample belt.
    The last 14 in plastic injection molds.
    When you bend sheet metal you have to add the thickness of the metal to the length of cut (for each bend) so that your dimensions hold true.

Machinists and Toolmakers are the gears of the industrial world. We make it all happen. We build the machines that build everything else. Even the CPU in your linux box.

Will help you anyway that I can.

sounds like a cool project...good luck and let us know how it turns out

The design so far,

Casing will be brushed Aluminum, front and back plates will be plexiglass all painted black.

Anyone have a good idea as to attach the face plate to the casing. I wondering if epoxy glue on the inside and then heating the sides of the plexiglass to make the transision from plexi to metal smooth.

The backplate will be removable