Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Anyone good with metal work? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone good with metal work?

Good Guru

Re: Anyone good with metal work?

Well, if you do it like the following way you shouldnt have problems. But use a multimeter and check before energizing the equipment.

Build the case however you want. I personally would use as much plastic-like equipment as possible (with the anti-static treated plastics that is). Use the MB mountscrews like on a CPU box (the little brass colored screws that allow the mainboard to get mounted). Then mount everything like you would. I would also make a plate that all of the case screws connect into as well as your PSU mounts onto for grounding.

That should alleviate any grounding issues.

Good Guru

The front will feature:

1. 4 x 20 LCD display
    2. 4 arrow keys (I need find a place that sells those) for controlling the MP3 player.
    3. an ON/OFF button.

The case will be brushed aluminium painted black.
    If your electronics stores have the kits -- there are some really good IR kits to build a remote control. Easier built than said in this case

You could probably just make it all out of plexiglass.

I am not sure what kind of grounding issues you could run into (if any) the plexiglass can be glued together rather well with epoxy.

Oh, and as far as mounting the mainboard in the plexiglass case you can just use a sharpie to mark the spots and glue those plastic mounts to the bottom.
    Sadly, I have my heart set on brushed metal, the front will most likely be somesort of plastic, because it's easy to cut and mould.

I have mounted boards to just plywood before and I didnt have any grounding issues so I think he could use the plastic mounts without the need of the metal plate or brass screws.

Good Guru

I have mounted boards to just plywood before and I didnt have any grounding issues so I think he could use the plastic mounts without *the need of the metal plate or brass screws.
    The static that the plastic can accumulate can be lethal to the circuitry. I am an EET graduate. I am technically non-proficient in anything but electrical engineering (as one asshole HR person told me)

Sadly, I have my heart set on brushed metal, the front will most likely be somesort of plastic, because it's easy to cut and mould.
    Then, talking to your local machine shop or vocational school may be your best bet.

Are you looking at some project on the net for this or is it just something you are thinking up.

Scotty, my software kinda makes it a bad choice to make a remote - but I thought about it, and I decided against it. because you have to be within a distance that leaves the display readable anyways..

The basic idea was to build a slim casing for just the display and buttons, and hide the PC, because that way I can easily swap hardware, etc. and I get a case that doesn't look bulgy when it's under my DVD player.

So I figured I would place a suitable connector on the back plate and then just run a cable to the host PC.

Are you looking at some project on the net for this or is it just something you are thinking up.
    Yeah, I'm building a setup like the Route66 project, but I'm rewriting the software in C++, as it's in perl and I can't really read perl that well.
    Another choice for rewritting in C++ is that I want to enhance the software down the line with plugin support, so my machine can play ogg files as well.

Then, talking to your local machine shop or vocational school may be your best bet.
    Lucky I live close to a school with suitable tools, and cheap metal.. it's my old high school, so I'm sure they will help me with the mounding and stuff, as long as I have pretty CAD drawings of the whole thing.