Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Anyone good with metal work?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone good with metal work?

Anyone good with metal work?

Because I'm in need of some help building my MP3 player' shell.

Re: Anyone good with metal work?

Funny you should mention that, I went to school for machining for a year. What do you need to know?

I need to know how to make my case look pretty, well I have to build a 43cm by 7cm by 27cm (x, y, z) casing, and I would like to leave the front as pretty as possible (pref. no wielding and no overlapping), how would I go about doing this?

btw. if it matters, all I really need to put in there attaches to the front (43cm by 7cm), and some wires out the back, the alternative is to build an entirely new casing which I can fit my host PC's hardware in (an IBM PS 330) - which think would be:

a) ugly like hell
    b) hard

The idea is to make it look like a part of my stereo, and then "hide" the PC somewhere nearby, yet out of sight.

If you had access to a milling machine the best thing to do is take some aluminum plate and mill it out. If you want to go with real beauty, i would have a local machine shop make it for you. I can help you draw up the blueprints. (it would probably be really expensive to have them do it)

If you dont want to go that route you can probably go to the machine shop and buy the aluminum cut to size and drill and tap it yourself. You wouldnt want to weld anything, just use set screws or something.

Good Guru

Why not buy a rackmount pc chassis, mainboard, and if you need it CPU, RAM, and HD?

They arent that expensive and are really slick looking. I would go for a 1U or 2U if you can afford it (~$300 US)

How expensive are we talking ??

Otherwise how about this:

One sheet
    100cm x 27cm bend it four times to make the sides, the top and buttom.
    Then make the front and back in plexi, then all I need is to figure out a way to attach it, and make it pretty.

Might be worth looking into ?

Why not buy a rackmount pc chassis, mainboard, and if you need it CPU, RAM, and HD?

They arent that expensive and are really slick looking. I would go for a 1U or 2U if you can afford it (~$300 US)
    Wrong size, would look stupid in my stereo setup, believe me I tried borrowing one to see if it would fit.

Good Guru

Whaat about using an old VCR chassis and plopping the stuuff in there,a nd buying a piece of solid color plexi for the front. The back can be done the same way. Drill holes for the cables, and screwholes. If you want you can make it pretty by adding an LCD panel on the front for ID3 tags. There are several MP3 car kit instructions out there -- use them as a reference.

You could probably just make it all out of plexiglass. *

I am not sure what kind of grounding issues you could run into (if any) the plexiglass can be glued together rather well with epoxy.

Oh, and as far as mounting the mainboard in the plexiglass case you can just use a sharpie to mark the spots and glue those plastic mounts to the bottom.

The front will feature:

1. 4 x 20 LCD display
    2. 4 arrow keys (I need find a place that sells those) for controlling the MP3 player.
    3. an ON/OFF button.

The case will be brushed aluminium painted black.