Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-source approach fades in tough times

Mentor

Open-source approach fades in tough times

The ideological purity of the open-source software movement is being diluted by a new era of pragmatism as start-ups adjust to the economic slump.
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...html?tag=tp_pr

Re: Open-source approach fades in tough times

To bad, they all forget their roots..

Free software has been around a lot longer than those companies have, and it will continue without them.

many companies are are parasites like the article mentioned that they don't wish to be. I know there is some BSD stuff in windows and I also know quite a few other compaines use GPLed stuff w/o ever thinking of trying to give bac even though it is saving them big $$.

many companies are are parasites like the article mentioned that they don't wish to be. *I know there is some BSD stuff in windows and I also know quite a few other compaines use GPLed stuff w/o ever thinking of trying to give bac even though it is saving them big $$.
    If I'm not mistaken, Windows' entire TCP/IP stack was ripped straight from BSD.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows' entire TCP/IP stack was ripped straight from BSD.
    Yup, straight up stolen... BSD license allows for this kind of.... borrowing

That sure is a shame. If the BSD license was more like the GPL, then Windows would either a) have no networking, or b) have piss-poor networking (not that it doesn't already).

That would be funny as hell, really. Would windows really be as ubiquitous as it is if it wasn't internet ready

Obviously the business high-rollers will continue to feed off of open source progress, add some proprietary flash and peddle it as their own. But open source (volunteer) work will go on as it has -- and the big-wigs know it. It saves them big bux in R&D salaries. It's cheap and chintzy, but I'm thankful for the Linux devotees. At least they've got class.

Free software has been around a lot longer than those companies have, and it will continue without them.
    Amen!

Good Guru

I quit getting excited whenever this kind of article shows up. The big reality is that they have failed to do their business as a business with proper management and all that stuff. Just because you based your business around open-source doesn't mean you will succeed.

Take VA for example. They have abandoned their hardware server business for a while now. All their servers were outsourced to Seletron for sometime without VA doing all the work. It is true for some other companies as well. What VA want to do now is do what they do best, Software. That doesn't mean that they are all going to close their source as well.

Take another. Sun's Star Office and Open office. The difference are minimal but there are some. It's to fight many management thinking that if it's free, it can't be good. By offering closed-sourced model, they better compete with other similar products such as Microsoft Office. That's business decision. For those open source people, Open Office is still free.

Some of the dot-coms business failures are management rather than business model. Their management are not experienced as some of the other companies. The failure are not with open sourced nor open-sourced based.