Thread: 2.4.16 is out.

Hybrid View

2.4.16 is out.

nuf said.

Re: 2.4.16 is out.

I'm using 2.4.3. Should I upgrade? What advantage would it be to upgrade?

Mentor

I'm using 2.4.3. Should I upgrade? What advantage would it be to upgrade?
    You can brag about it. Other than that ...

You can brag about it. Other than that ...
    well i am sure there are other reasons...

if your hardware is running good on 2.4.3 and you are not doing any secure stuff then there is no advatage, but there can be additional support and fixed security bugs.

Well, one advantage I can see to using a >2.4.9 kernel is that you get to use the string module with iptables. That means you can block packets based on their content, not just their flags/headers.

In other words, it becomes ludicrously easy to stop CodeRed/Nimda attacks at the firewall, instead of letting them clog your apache logs and waste your CPU cycles.

Granted, not a big issue now, but there could be another similar worm again...

if your hardware is running good on 2.4.3 and you are not doing any secure stuff then there is no advatage, but there can be additional support and fixed security bugs.
    Or there can be more security bugs or other bugs for that matter.

OK, here is another question I've always had. When I read reports about distros like Redhat and Mandrake, I often see phrases implying the kernel shipped with those distros are specially made and I'll lose some functionality with a "normal" kernel. Are those custom kernels just the normal kernel compiled for a broadly distributed desktop based OS?

yea - some of those are pretty heavily patched. i use the stock kernel patched with ext3 and that is about it.