Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: this is funny.  Go RH

Re: this is funny.  Go RH

Well obviously Microsoft is going to make charitable donations to companies that will stimulate their own economic growth, and use that as tax write offs... donating enough money to put you at the top of the next lower tax bracket is often cheaper than just paying your taxes in the higher tax bracket.

But a government saying "You are a monopoly! That is illegal. Your punishment is to be a bigger monopoly!" is ludicrous! MS must accept this deal, for the sake of all of us.

Mentor

Re: this is funny. *Go RH

But Microsoft isn't a hardware provider. *Why would they want to go along with this. *I doubt MS will give Redhat a platform to proselytize American youth to Linux.
    I'm with you on this, Microsoft is not a hardware provider why would ever go along with this.

Microsoft has lived thru bad press before the'll find a way to live thru this too.

Kudos to redhat for thinking of something like this but it just wont happen.

70 pc per school !!!!! we had 1 where i went to school but that was in 1987 you know when computers took up a whole room.

I think that you are all missing the point on the hardware part. *As I read it I took it as Microsoft has to provide the hardware (ie. purchase it).
    encouraging Microsoft to redirect the money it would have spent on software into purchasing more hardware for the 14,000 poorest school districts.
    I dont think this is saying they have to use their hardware, but rather use their money to purchase hardware for these schools.

I dunno....I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time), but thats how I read it.

You would be surprised.... M$ can just choose to ignore it too......
    I don't think Microsoft is powerful enough to take on the United States government yet. I'd say it's more of the choice of the government whether or not Microsoft accepts Redhat's deal. And Microsoft hasn't seemed too worried about the government lately but I bet they won't be too giddy if the government's verdict is Redhat's deal.

Good Guru

I don't think Microsoft is powerful enough to take on the United States government yet.
    What do you mean?? There is no need for M$ to take with US government.....

I'd say it's more of the choice of the government whether or not Microsoft accepts Redhat's deal.
    And no need for that too. M$ is settling with plaintiffs only. There is no need for RH to involve and government can't force it either.

This will just cause M$ the bad press and that's about it. Since M$ have had so many of the bad presses, they won't even care......

And no need for that too. M$ is settling with plaintiffs only. There is no need for RH to involve and government can't force it either.
    Microsoft knows they're in a crock of shit so if the plaintiffs want them to take up Redhat's deal, it would probably be better than facing the judicial system's final verdict.

MS is now a slut against the wall and about to take it from behind! GO RH!!! ;D

Mentor

Just think how much it would screw up MS. They were planning on providing hardware and software from what I understood, so now we a going to have a generation who understand what Linux and open source is. This is good news for Linux, if it goes through.

Let's all pray they accept it. If they do end up accepting it, it'll be through clenched teeth. Chances are pretty good that they'll reject it, but there will be some fancy legal footwork to get out of this one..."We at M$ are SUCH nice guys that we're going to DONATE computers and software to the poorest schools in the US. What's that? You mean we won't get PAID for this? Well then you know where you can stick it!". Assuming M$ accepts this (which they won't), this could mean HUGE things for GNU/Linux. HUGE!

hopefully this helps:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/2001...ls_deal_1.html

"By allowing Microsoft to flood the education market with free software--at virtually no cost to the company--the court will be virtually assuring that no other competitor will be able to charge for its products," he said. "The foreclosure of this market to competition and consumer choice will only facilitate the continuation of Microsoft's unlawful monopolistic strategy."