Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this is funny.  Go RH

this is funny.  Go RH

Kind Mastermind

Re: this is funny. *Go RH

It is sooo bizarre, it makes sense! Darn, why didn't I think of it first?

Genius, sheer genius.

Microsoft redirects the value of their proposed software donation to the purchase of additional hardware for the school districts. This would increase the number of computers available under the original proposal from 200,000 to more than one million, and would increase the number of systems per school from approximately 14 to at least 70.

Oh Yeah! It will take some heavy weasel-wording by the M$ shysters to reject this offer. I'd bet RH would even furnish the computers with real modems. In any event, Herr Gates has to shit or get off the crapper. Thanks for catching this one! ;D

A Win-Win Approach
    It's lose-lose from the point of view of MS, that's why I love it.

If MS accepts the deal, they can't make any money in the future from the school upgrading their software. Microsoft loses.

If MS rejects the deal, they look *really* bad, and lose a lot of business (hopefully). Microsoft loses.

;D

Nice move RH...

This may well be the wisest move for the free software community in a LONG while. Since we target the youngest amongst us, we teach them the value of choice at a young age, instead of bottle feeding them M$ and their infinior products. This may breed a whole generation of GNU/Linux users, because if you use GNU/Linux at school, why not use it at home... and since it's open and free, why not use it to teach programming (and improve it )

YEAH BABY.. YEAH !

But Microsoft isn't a hardware provider. Why would they want to go along with this. I doubt MS will give Redhat a platform to proselytize American youth to Linux.

Re: this is funny.  Go RH

But Microsoft isn't a hardware provider. Why would they want to go along with this. I doubt MS will give Redhat a platform to proselytize American youth to Linux.
    Very true. Also, M$ will only get bad press if their rejection of the offer makes its way out of tech circles and into main-stream news that the average Joe will read and can follow.

That bing said, I still applaud RH for their genius on this one.

Re: this is funny.  Go RH

Exactly tolstoy, it's bad press for MS if they decline (paying attention t048? ). If they go with just the hardware and not the software, there will be so many more donated computers.

Plus, I think they might be forced to go along with this, because if they donate the software, and they are forced to update the software according to the license, then it's obvious that this is just a scheme to further their monopoly. This is a punishment for being a monopoly! No sane government would punish a monopoly by extending it! With RH donating the software, MS is forced to spend all the money on hardware, they lose market share, and Linux gains it. It's brilliant!

Good Guru

No sane government would punish a monopoly by extending it!
    You would be surprised.... M$ can just choose to ignore it too...... If you have looked at Microsoft and Gates Foundation donation papers, there are many millions of dollars worth of donations but mostly are off somehow related to their own products whether in the form of software titles, licenses or the center for computing technology emphasing to promote Windows. None ( at least not many ) of them are for pure phelanthoropy(sp?) work.