Thread: Linux Certification

Linux Certification

Hi, I'm brand new here. This is my first post. *I'm fairly new to Linux. I've "played around" with it a bunch through partitioning my windows drive - but never seriously got into it. *I also have a Linux shell that I use to run IRC bots. *

I was wondering what your opinions were about getting certified in this stuff. *I have a small home network of a Windows 98 and Windows 2000 machine connected through a Netgear cable modem router. *I plan to build another PC to use just for Linux; I'll be able to network them and maybe set up a web or ftp server. *I would like to eventually get a certification in Linux. *I recently earned my A+ cert. and plan to get my Network+ soon. *I thought about a Microsoft cert, but I am so sick of Bill and M$. *I really want to learn *nix. *CompTia has a new Linux+ cert and LPI has some too. *I got Negus' RedHat Linux 7.1 Bible book to learn from once I build my Linux box. *Anyway, that's my story.

Good Guru

Re: Linux Certification

Well it's definately nice to have a Linux certification, it's currently not a job demander. And also it depends on what distro you want to based your certificate on and other stuff. LPI is not a distro specific and CompTIA is also vendor neutral. RHCE is Red Hat specific so chances are if some company is running all Red Hat then you will be fine.

And also if you want to get *nix certificate just for the job and money, you better get Sun certificate.

Mentor

Dont worry so much about certifacations.

Just learn the OS, you could ahve the whole freekin alphabet following your name ( Linux+ ,LPI+ , Whatever + ) and still not not how to do shit but pass a test.

my 2 cents

I agree, but not completely, with boblucci. *First, learn Linux and then definitely work on the certifications. *I've worked in the corporate world now for about 12 years and believe me, certifications mean A LOT. *They are starting to mean more than a degree. *I recently (about 6 months ago) started a new job with a large medical diagnostics company here in Indianapolis. *During the interview, they asked what I like to do most. *I told them that I love computers, the internet, and most of all, I love Linux. *What got me the job is the love I have for I/T and wanting to work on my certifications. *It really didn't matter at all that I have a degree in computer technology. *We are beginning to setup some labs to test Linux in our environment. *I was the first one they came to to do this because of my love for Linux. *My boss said that he wants me to begin working on Linux and network certifications (that was about 3 months ago). *I just passed my Linux+ and Network+ certifications last week. *Next, I'm going to work on either LPI or Sair. *My boss said that with my next certification, I'll be getting a $5,000 a year raise. *Now, tell me that certifications don't mean anything.........

If you need any help or have any questions about the Linux+ or Network+ certifications, just let me know. *You'll find that the A+ test was harder than the Network+ test (at least to me.....).

;D

I was wondering what your opinions were about getting certified in this stuff. ?I have a small home network of a Windows 98 and Windows 2000 machine connected through a Netgear cable modem router. ?I plan to build another PC to use just for Linux; I'll be able to network them and maybe set up a web or ftp server. ?I would like to eventually get a certification in Linux. ?I recently earned my A+ cert. and plan to get my Network+ soon. ?I thought about a Microsoft cert, but I am so sick of Bill and M$. ?I really want to learn *nix. ?CompTia has a new Linux+ cert and LPI has some too. ?I got Negus' RedHat Linux 7.1 Bible book to learn from once I build my Linux box. ?Anyway, that's my story.
    Ultimately, I guess there are four categories of IT employees:
    1) those who are certified and know what they are doing
    2) those who are certified and don't know what they are doing
    3) those who aren't certified and know what they are doing
    4) those who aren't certified and have no clue

Until you can find an employer that knows how to evaluate your technical skills for what they are - and doesn't rely on some certificate-issuing.. then it can come down to just forking out enough $$$ for an exam cram pack, passing the test, get a piece of paper, and getting your application at the top of the pile because most employers' HR departments are like that. Please tell me the last time an employer took the appropriate time to evaluate technical skills but didn't put you on the bottom of the list cause they were looking for certifications. Few and far between. CCIE is a well respected cert however. Its real hands on. Heck you have to fly over to cisco's HQ just to take it. 2 days of testing, including labs. Besides, when was the last time you sat down at a crashed server and it asked you multiple choice answers?

So back to linux certs. Both LPI and SAIR seem to be making strides for a good way to determine an indication of basic minimum knowledge of linux. But you wont see any mention on either of their sites about their cert is meant to be a replacement for proven experience and knowledge. I think both places are open for comments now, in order to perfect their certification program. The more I look, the more the commercial SAIR seems to have more to offer, but because it is no longer run by non-profit and open source individuals, many object to it. LPI on the other hand seems nice and they do have some distribution specific pages, but dont know which will be more acceptable. The knowledge learned preparing for one will help towards the other, but it still is a lot of money to invest for something that may not even be useful.

In short, certification isn't an indicator of technical skills, but it sure does help open some doors. *

Ultimately, I guess there are four categories of IT employees:
    1) those who are certified and know what they are doing
    2) those who are certified and don't know what they are doing
    3) those who aren't certified and know what they are doing
    4) those who aren't certified and have no clue

Until you can find an employer that knows how to evaluate your technical skills for what they are - and doesn't rely on some certificate-issuing.. then it can come down to just forking out enough $$$ for an exam cram pack, passing the test, get a piece of paper, and getting your application at the top of the pile because most employers' HR departments are like that. Please tell me the last time an employer took the appropriate time to evaluate technical skills but didn't put you on the bottom of the list cause they were looking for certifications. Few and far between. CCIE is a well respected cert however. Its real hands on. Heck you have to fly over to cisco's HQ just to take it. 2 days of testing, including labs. Besides, when was the last time you sat down at a crashed server and it asked you multiple choice answers?

So back to linux certs. Both LPI and SAIR seem to be making strides for a good way to determine an indication of basic minimum knowledge of linux. But you wont see any mention on either of their sites about their cert is meant to be a replacement for proven experience and knowledge. I think both places are open for comments now, in order to perfect their certification program. The more I look, the more the commercial SAIR seems to have more to offer, but because it is no longer run by non-profit and open source individuals, many object to it. LPI on the other hand seems nice and they do have some distribution specific pages, but dont know which will be more acceptable. The knowledge learned preparing for one will help towards the other, but it still is a lot of money to invest for something that may not even be useful.

In short, certification isn't an indicator of technical skills, but it sure does help open some doors. *
    Very true.......

Unfortunately, we live in a world where most larger companies seem to think that if you're not certified then you don't know what you're doing. That's why I think it's best to learn Linux first and then work on certifications next (if you're company requires this).

I work with quite a few MCSE's that have no clue. They just have that piece of paper.......which, unfortunately, usually gets them the job.

I went to a site and took a couple of practice exams for the LPI. Level 1 seems pretty easy. I missed two questions of ten but one I actually knew but made a mistake. Level 2 is a different story. I missed three of them and didn't feel too confident about some that I got right. I wonder if they're having that exam in my area. I'll drive to Dallas to take it but not much further.

I've seen many IT folks who simply are not as competent with computers as I am, and I am not in IT. Now I am thinking about changing careers into IT.

What a world. I am a damn good geologist, but I see morons around me making much more money even though they are stumped by simple problems that I manage to fix in less time and don't insult the end users while doing so.

Well I found out I can get certified in Tyler and Shreveport, which are both about an hour away. But I have a warrant for my arrest in Tyler, so I think I'll go to Shreveport. [smiles] This will be cool. Maybe I'll at last be able to get a job in Unix administration.