Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Laboratory!

Thread: Linux Laboratory!

Linux Laboratory!

njcajun needs your help. *He needs to figure out the direction that LL.O will take. *He is going to revamp the site and start using PostNuke.

Re: Linux Laboratory!

I think he should merge with LJR, to provide a more all round website - which would be good for everybody, not just he's ego.

I appreciate his effort, but I never visit LL, I just think that the most benfits would come out of a merge.

Soo to answer your question, Down !

Mentor

i remember njcajun saying something about his site not being for newbies?

Maybe thats why noone is going there?

I like lovechilds idea, have a forum that redirects you to njcajun's page but still somehow whithin this site?

nj<whatshisnick> could post news, review, tech preview, and organize the helpfiles, all the l33t stuff we lack here at LJR. Because LJR isn't just about newbies, it's about learning GNU/Linux, and that is something even l33t ppl could learn from.

Let's make this world better, let's recompile !

Because face it, none of the newbies read the newbie docs. and what we really should do is to make a docs section were we set the ambious goal of writting a book or something or several books on topics like Networking with GNU/Linux and Sysadmin, the easy way ! that sort of stuff !

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

i

<sarcasm>Or maybe he thinks he's too 1337 to help newbies :</sarcasm>

I recently received excellent help from njcajun on a matter pertaining to a problem one of my friends had experienced. He took the time to follow-up very quickly with emails to help with the situation. I certainly don't think he's too 1337 to help newbies!

Mentor

does any one know what sarcasm is?

I'm only joking!!! i know he is a big help he has helped me many times.

I'll remove it from my previous post because noone get the joke :, bunch of uptight people around here.

evilestknight would appreciate my humor!!

hi all,

I wish someone would tell me when there's a party like this goin' on
    Guess I'll respond to what's happenin'.

First, thanks to cybergirl for pointing out that I do, in fact, still help newbies. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a new job that keeps me away from BBSs at all, including, largely, my own. However, I try to help anyone I can when I feel what I have to say will benefit someone. I'm also trying to find time to write up docs that can benefit anyone for posting on my site. The reason I say my site is 'not for newbies' is because newbies really don't need YANS (yet another newbie site). There are 20000 members at LNO alone - do they really need another BBS? Okay, given the state of LNO, maybe they do - but do they need 10? Probably not. I think between LNO, LJO, LinuxOrbit, LinuxQuestions and the others I'm forgetting right now (no offense) the newbie BBS territory is pretty well covered.

Docs? Well, I'm lacking in that department, but I'm working on it, I swear. However, to say I don't wanna help or I'm in some way uncooperative is ludicrous considering I've written an NHF or two myself, and have an article in Linux magazine, which, while it's basically non-technical, can certainly help newbies talk about Linux and get a little more respect than the average M$-bashing zealot (not that I'm against M$-bashing )

As for 'merging', I don't really think it would do either site a whole lot of good at this point. For the record, I DID SUGGEST IT TO CLOVERM BACK IN MAY OR JUNE BEFORE MY SITE LAUNCHED. We respectfully disagreed on what each of us wanted to do, so we let it go. I link this site, and he links mine, and we're cordial about it.

PS - whoever said something about my ego really should get to know who he's blindly bashing. It doesn't exactly make me feel welcome here, and I do come and help out here when I can. Admittedly it's not often, but I do help at all of the sites. If you don't see me here, I'm somewhere. To suggest that my site is an ego trip is really taking the easy way out, though. That's an easy assumption to make. I must have *some* ego, though, to take no money from outside sources, fund the whole hosting of the site myself, rewrite most of PHP-Nuke (with help) to get it to even work at all, post most of the content myself, just to stroke my ego? You're insane, man. The stereotypical cyberdisplay of an ego is a personal homepage. Mine is at www.briankjones.com. If you wanna see ego, go there.

PPS - if linuxjunior isn't 'just about newbies' why is it called 'linuxjunior'?
    PPPS - It *IS* about newbies! The site was started at least partially in response to the happenings at LNO, which is TOTALLY about newbies, to give the people there a place to go if LNO disappeared (by the way, I applaud cloverm on his efforts - this is a great site).

PPPPS - Lovechild, the fact that you suggest writing books about doing advanced things in Linux 'the easy way' would be a waste of trees. Generally speaking, the 'easy' way is also the hacked, insecure, slow, unmaintainable, unrepeatable, standalone-box-only way. That's fine for newbies, and I do some of that myself on a couple of my home workstations, but who do you feel is gonna benefit from that? Only a newbie really, who you already said don't read the docs (I disagree with that, by the way), so what's the sense? If you're not a newbie, you either already know how to do that stuff the right way, or you work in a Linux environment that really isn't conducive to doing things 'the easy way'.

BOBLUCCI - I laughed.

PPPPPS - there IS (and always has been) a newbie section of the forums at LL.O

Mentor

njcajun- fellow New Jersian

thanks for laughing , really i mean that because i posted something that was sarcasitc and poeple took offence to it, i guess?

dont be offeneded by anyone here it's all in good fun , dont worry about the ego thing i'm sure he was just joking, just like my post I know newbies are welcome i was just picking on you thats all

Hey if it matters at all i registered at your site the day it opened ;D ;D

dude, dont sweat it i'm sure most of the people surf that site for help anyway, it's just one big family around these parts.

I think somehow integrating the sites could be helpful.

like, hack the YaBB code so that cloverm adds an "Advanced" group, which goes to LL.O, and njcajun adds a "Newbie" section that links to a few of the forums here.

The main problem would be the users... it would be nice to just have one profile for both, and if YaBB runs on mysql, it would be possible.

cloverm and njcajun: if you guys are interested at all in this, I'd be more than happy to try and get it working on my box, at least the LL.O side(since it runs on PHP). someone else will have to do the YaBB side, since it runs on perl, right? But I don't wanna waste a bunch of time getting it set up on my box and then have no one interested