Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

linux and GNU - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: linux and GNU

Re: linux and GNU

What percentage is actually linux?

What percentage is actually linux?
    Sorry, I should have included that in the last post. About 2%.

So? Most of the stuff on the Windows cd isn't part of the operating system but you still call it Windows. Well actually I'm not sure if the extra software is more abundant than the Windows crap but I'm proving a point here. Linux is the core of it all. It's the freakin kernel. And you wonder why they call it Linux? Maybe because Linux is the most important part... That's not to say that I have anything against calling it Gnu/Linux. It's just dumb to act like Gnu is more important that Linux.

So? Most of the stuff on the Windows cd isn't part of the operating system but you still call it Windows. Well actually I'm not sure if the extra software is more abundant than the Windows crap but I'm proving a point here. Linux is the core of it all. It's the freakin kernel. And you wonder why they call it Linux? Maybe because Linux is the most important part... That's not to say that I have anything against calling it Gnu/Linux. It's just dumb to act like Gnu is more important that Linux.
    It is absolutely not dumb to say that GNU is more important than Linux. If I removed Linux and replaced it with another kernel, you'd be hard pressed to notice a single difference.

It is absolutely not dumb to say that GNU is more important than Linux. If I removed Linux and replaced it with another kernel, you'd be hard pressed to notice a single difference.
    With another unix kernel maybe. You'd have to recompile all the Gnu crap though. But you could switch Gnu with FreeBSD or Solaris stuff and you still wouldn't notice much difference. And it doesn't matter because Linux is still more important. I could take dosshell away from Dos and it would make a world of difference in appearance and functionality, but either way it's Dos. Dos is the operating system and no matter what you run in front of it, it's still Dos.

With another unix kernel maybe. You'd have to recompile all the Gnu crap though. But you could switch Gnu with FreeBSD or Solaris stuff and you still wouldn't notice much difference. And it doesn't matter because Linux is still more important. I could take dosshell away from Dos and it would make a world of difference in appearance and functionality, but either way it's Dos. Dos is the operating system and no matter what you run in front of it, it's still Dos.
    First of all, you would notice a difference if you replaced the GNU stuff with, say, BSD stuff.

Second, it really depends on how you define "operating system." I am not saying that Linux is not important; it is certainly crucial to the operation of the computer. However, the phrase "operating system" has a much larger connotation than simply the piece of software that directly interfaces with the hardware. For instance, when I download a program, I need to make sure that it is written for the operating system that I am using. In this case, they are not referring to the kernel; they are referring to the part of the system that the user and programmer (with the exception of a device driver writer) can interact with. The name of this board is Linux Junior, but 99% of all information here is directly applicable to all Unix systems, regardless of what kernel they're using.

Additionally, there are a number of systems out there that use the Linux kernel, but in no way resemble the GNU system that we are used to. As an example, BlueOS, a clone of BeOS, uses Linux as its kernel. If you asked me what OS I was running, and the correct answer was BlueOS, but I answered Linux, you would get the wrong idea. You would assume I could run Linux software, I had a "Linux" command line, was running a multi-user system, etc. The operating system is much more defined by the user interface than by the elements that the user is never aware of.

Along the same line, consider the name "Unix." Most people define Unix as an operating system, and by this they refer to the utilities, text editors, shells, libraries, etc. that typically come with all Unix systems. Each Unix system has its own kernel, and yet they're all called Unix.

I doubt many of us here are kernel hackers. Probably the only time we interact with the kernel is when we recompile it, or install a device driver. Why then, is this board called Linux Junior? Does that make sense?

TaeShadow: Don't try to have people saying GNU/Linux. I once tried on LNO. I got flammed like hell. And no one said GNU/Linux after that. Just say what you want and let the others say what they want a let RMS yell that it's GNU/Linux

TaeShadow: Don't try to have people saying GNU/Linux. *I once tried on LNO. *I got flammed like hell. *And no one said GNU/Linux after that. *Just say what you want and let the others say what they want a let RMS yell that it's GNU/Linux
    But it should be named GNU/Linux... it's only fair !

But it should be named GNU/Linux... it's only fair !
    It should, but people don't accept it. Just do like we do in the GNU/Linux community: stand apart and call it GNU/Linux.

Hmm... Good point about BlueOS. I never knew another Linux operating system even except. But then I wasn't disagreeing that Gnu is part of the operating system. I just think Linux has a more important role. I agree that Gnu/Linux is technically correct. I just think that if you were to call it by just one of those two, it should be Linux.

And as for programming, I can write programs that interact only with the kernel. The only way to write a program that doesn't interact with it directly at all is to write a shell script (which technically isn't programming at all). But it eventually goes back to the kernel anyway. It's like a car. Typically the frame and body make the core of the car. I could put a 305 Chevy engine in my Thunderbird (well I probably couldn't but follow along) but it will still be a Thunderbird. The Thunderbird part of it is most important. That's probably a bad example but I have to run to school for the very last time. Yay!