Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: linux and GNU

linux and GNU

I know the name linux only refers to the actual kernel. My question is what part it GNU. Is it just the license? If so who came up with things like home directories, permissions and bash?

Re: linux and GNU

OK, all the base tools (ls, mv, rm, ps, top, etc.) are all amde by the GNU project (it's very interesting to note that they are the most featured and most bug-frees of all base tools). They also provide other tools like GnuPG, Emacs, etc.

Ya I read about it on the gnu site a couple months ago. I just didn't know if gnu made the rest of what you find in a distro or just the license

Emacs
    Emacs isn't a tool, it's a shine of all which is evil !

Also, GNU is a recursive acronym meaning "GNU's Not UNIX". 8)

Also, GNU is a recursive acronym meaning "GNU's Not UNIX". 8)
    Since all most all un*x platforms use the gnu tools a more fitting acronym would be:

GNU is Now Unix ?

Since all most all un*x platforms use the gnu tools a more fitting acronym would be:

GNU is Now Unix ?
    Haha, true, very true. *Most OS use the gcc compiler nowadays. *Hell, even Microsoft uses gcc: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...x/features.asp

But there's a reason why they are used a lot. *They are the most reliable ones (I don't have the link yet, give me a couple of minutes to find it) , the ones with the most features and they are free. *What else would you want?

Edit: Here's the promised link: ftp://grilled.cs.wisc.edu/technical_...-revisited.pdf

even Microsoft uses gcc:
    Haha, hypocrit bastards.

But there's a reason why they are used a lot. They are the most reliable ones (I don't have the link yet, give me a couple of minutes to find it) , the ones with the most features and they are free.
    And they said open source was bad!

Approximately 28% of code in your average "Linux" distribution is contributed by the GNU project. This makes them the largest single contributor of code. It would certainly not be inaccurate to refer to the system as GNU. At least, call it GNU/Linux.