Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slackware┤s forum is gone

Re: Slackware┤s forum is gone

I wonder, does FreeBSD have a sparc port? *I have a sparc20 for my lan server, and I'm not sure what to put on it. *Solaris 8, RedHat 7.2 (when the port is done) or a BSD....

You could try FreeBSD. *Very nice OS and it's much more stable.
    I have FreeBSD on another partition from my Slackware 8.0 distro. For some reason, it seems like BSD uses more resources. Here's the deal:

I monitor system resources with gkrellm, watching the CPU krell. In Slack, with TWO instances of setiathome running, along with other stuff, the CPU shows about 7% on average.

In FreeBSD, with only ONE instance of Setiathome running, its at 95 to 100% all the time. It seems like FreeBSD bogs down easier the more I multitask. I have the kernel set for an i686. Don't know why, but its slower.

8)Slackware 8)

You could try FreeBSD. *Very nice OS and it's much more stable.
    It┤s pretty good, but I deleted it after I tried to install Galeon the last time I tried it.

Do you know how many dependencies the Galeon port have? 49. That┤s no typo. Galeon has got 49 dependencies * I counted them.

This wouldn┤t be a problem if I could download them all and then compile Galeon. I first tried make fetch but that downloads only the Galeon source, not it┤s dependencies.
    That leaves two choices:

1. Download the deps one by one. Not fun.
    2. Start compiling Galeon and let FreeBSD download the deps when they are needed.

#2 works fine if you have got a flat rate connection. It┤s not fun if you pay per minute. Babysitting the computer and connect manually when a dep is needed sucks.

Maybe there is a third way, but I was only testing it so I didn┤t really look for one. I┤m soon getting dsl though, so I think I┤m going to try an ftp install.

link=board=community&num=1008439546&start= 0#10 date=12/15/01 at 16:34:39]
    I wonder, does FreeBSD have a sparc port?
    At the moment, no. Right now only IA-32 and Alpha are supported. But Sparc, IA-64, and some others are in development. Maybe in a few months. If you want to try out a BSD though, I believe both NetBSD and OpenBSD support Sparc. NetBSD supports practically anything with integrated circuits in it.

I have FreeBSD on another partition from my Slackware 8.0 distro. For some reason, it seems like BSD uses more resources. Here's the deal:

I monitor system resources with gkrellm, watching the CPU krell. In Slack, with TWO instances of setiathome running, along with other stuff, the CPU shows about 7% on average.

In FreeBSD, with only ONE instance of Setiathome running, its at 95 to 100% all the time. It seems like FreeBSD bogs down easier the more I multitask. I have the kernel set for an i686. Don't know why, but its slower.
    I believe I read somewhere that FreeBSD and Setiathome don't like each other. It's just that one app that gives it fits. So don't run it in FreeBSD.

I'm first of all a Linux user. This is because it is a superior OS. I use Debian now because I am happy with it. I plan to install and work out with Slackware (and SuSE, later), because of a curiosity I hope I never lose. I respect all distros. If you like it, use it. 8)

Found this in the Arstechnica forum:

State of the "Slackware Nation"
    Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by mRgOBLIN
    I have been talking to Patrick regarding the Slackware forums as well as the state of Slackware itself.
    Please note I do have Patricks permission to make this "Official Announcement".
    First thing is the Forums--
    Speculation has been growing as to why the links to the slackware forums have been removed from the main page... The real reason is as many have guessed that the increasing level of trolling and childish antics by a few people have made maintaining the forum a very unpleasant and time consuming job. There is currently a thread in the development forum titled WTF where Patrick has stated that the Forums will have to be taken down unless a better (read: more Troll resistant) solution can be put in place. Patrick asked for suggestions and or volunteers to help with this. Suggestions REGARDING THIS TOPIC ONLY should be posted to that thread (I'm not including a link for obvious reasons).
    One suggestion is to have "Moderators" and "User Accounts" but Patrick feels that this could only be implemented on a seperate box (forum.slackware.com) to avoid the possibility of a vulnerability in the forum software compromising the security of slackware.com... problem with this is that he has used up all the spare rack space at the Co-Location facility. So if you are GENUINELY in a position to help with this then maybe email Patrick directly.

Slackware Development--
    First I'd like to say that people really need to have faith in Patrick and his devotion to Slackware, I know some of you begin to wonder when you don't see any obvious signs of development for a while but things are still moving even if it doesn't appear to be from the outside. This is a direct quote from Patrick himself today
    "So anyway, in spite of the spouting off of trolls, Slackware development continues, and I've got absolutely no plans to ever discontinue *that*."
    I personally think that this removes any questions posed by the "Is Slackware dead team"
    If you are wondering what Patrick is doing when not battling trolls and conversing with Goblins .. he is currently working on the packaging system to get upgradepkg cooperate with the new long-filename format and working out a few of the "quirky little bugs" still lingering in pkgtool and associated utilities.
    Well that's about it... lets hope a suitable solution can be found for the forum problems and that we "The Slackware Community" can keep a positive attitude and give "The Man" some space to continue to develop the Finest Linux Distribution known to geek-kind
    Happy Slacking

At least debbies are smart enought to use a good distro. They have a reason to brag.
    I┤ll give you a cookie if you say it in french.

I┤ll give you a cookie if you say it in french.
    I'll try.

Du moins les utilisateurs de Debian sont assez intelligent d'utiliser une bonne distro. Ils ont de raison pour se venter.

How was that? I think I at least deserve a cookie for effort.

About Seti@Home, the goal is to use unused CPU cycles. When I ran Distributed.net or genome@home, my CPU was ALWAYS at 100%: these programs used as much as they could. If it does NOT show that amount for Seti@Home there are 2 possibilities: either Seti@Home is not running at full capacity or GKrellM is broken.