Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Speak out, be heard!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speak out, be heard!!

Re: Speak out, be heard!!

Microsoft cannot **make** you use their products and companies will use whatever is the most profitable.
    That is simply NOT true. A few months ago, I had to do a Chemistry project. It must be in Powerpoint format. I was forced to use windows, because my only other option was the fail the project. I love GNU, but not that much. The same thing happens in corporate environments constantly.

That is simply NOT true. A few months ago, I had to do a Chemistry project. It must be in Powerpoint format. I was forced to use windows, because my only other option was the fail the project. I love GNU, but not that much. The same thing happens in corporate environments constantly.
    Microsoft didnt make you use powerpoint,
    your teacher did.

I agree and try all the technology I can try out. On the other hand, if the technology is intrusive, overpriced, super dangerous, broken, or backwards I probably won't like it (unless it's for the nostalgic qualities).

Yes and no. I met some people on New Years who hate Windows but they HAVE to use it because of work. They have used MacOS and Linux and like them both a whole lot but can't use them beause they arn't 'computer guys.' One of them was talking about their companies upgrade to Win2k and how it has taken 2 weeks to get the system back up and running and how they've LOST profit from this but the company is doing it because it's the latest greatest version of NT and they NEED it. I know it sounds silly, but it's true since average users are kidn of brainwashed into thinking that there is only one OS.

Another way they can make people use their products is by making extentions to open standards (HTML?) and not sharing the information with others. Things like that are quiet anoying since the browser wars were supose to be over.
    Some of that is just about remaining competitive, as far as people being brainwashed? I would say that would have something to do with people being creatures of habit. It takes a lot of willpower to abandon something you know and try something completely different; even if it is better.

Microsoft didnt make you use powerpoint,
    your teacher did.
    And who do you think made my teacher use Powerpoint? She's an intelligent woman, I'm sure if she knew all the facts and knew all her options, she'd choose linux. But she has to use windows just because she doesn't know any better.

And who do you think made my teacher use Powerpoint? She's an intelligent woman, I'm sure if she knew all the facts and knew all her options, she'd choose linux. But she has to use windows just because she doesn't know any better.
    Well, if your teacher didn't force you. Who did? My only point is that Microsoft didn't make you use Powerpoint. I am pretty sure they don't care what you use, as long as you buy their software/hardware everytime a upgrade is out.

Well, if your teacher didn't force you. Who did?
    I didn't say my teacher didn't force me, I'm just saying you should look at the bigger picture here. I constantly see situations where people are forced to use windows for whatever reason (usually it's compatability with other people), but I've never seen people forced into using linux for any reason at all. Don't you think that's exactly what Microsoft wants?

My only point is that Microsoft didn't make you use Powerpoint. I am pretty sure they don't care what you use, as long as you buy their software/hardware everytime a upgrade is out.
    Well, I don't care what you use, just as long as it's Linux. Don't you see anything wrong with your statement? "They don't care what you use, as long as you give them money." So in other words, if I'm not using their crap, they care? And they want me to stop? And they'll do anything to stop me? Ok, that's what I thought.

I misread the teacher part of your post, sorry.

But, Don't kid yourself. Microsoft don't care as much about what software you use as much as they care about you lining their pockets w/cash.

Microsoft don't care as much about what software you use as much as they care about you lining their pockets w/cash.
    and where do you think that money comes from? from buying their software and the licenses for it... therefore they care about what products u use and they want u to only use their products

The DOJ let the case take too long and the reasons that they marked Microsoft as a monopoly are no longer true. * Everyone of us who uses Linux in place of Windows proves that they are not a monopoly. *IBM pimping Linux proves that there are alternatives. * I say just let them go. *
    I actually agree with you evilestknight.