Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "Valentine Memo"  leak...

Hybrid View

Another "Valentine Memo"  leak...

I saw this on the front page of USA Today's money section.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2...-microsoft.htm

Advisor

Re: Another "Valentine Memo" *leak...

Re: Another "Valentine Memo"  leak...

Microsoft's 92% monopoly of desktop operating systems remains untouchable, experts say. Ransom Love, CEO of Linux distributor Caldera International, speculates that Microsoft may have purposely leaked Valentine's memo hoping to lighten scrutiny of antitrust regulators here and abroad. "They have to play up competitive threats to ease pressures from governments around the world," Love says. "Microsoft uses whatever tactics it takes to win at all costs."
    That I believe. I used to feel a little guilty and would at least purchase their operating systems and then use illegal copies of Office 97/2000/XP and other MS software. This stopped with XP and their activation scheme. No more buying their os anymore. Get a copy and find a crack.

A few months ago one of our business computer publications included 30-day trial cd's of Office XP Professional. Within 5 minutes I had found a crack. I now have a full working copy of Office XP Pro that doesn't expire. Illegal yes. Do I feel guilty? NO...

I did buy Flight Simulator 2002 yesterday as it was on sale and I don't have many games. Thought I would give it a try.

Now how can Microsoft actually say that Linux costs more in the long run? I can't figure that one out. It has been proven that it takes less personal to support Unix/Linux than it does for Windows servers. The enormous licensing costs for NT/2000/XP servers and all the extra software required if you want anything but the basic operating system ends up costing more than the hardware it runs on. With most Linux distros, all the software you need to run any kind of server is already included with the distro or easily downloaded for free.

Gates just can't handle competition. How much money does he need. All of it? And he expects home users to purchase separate copies of XP home edition for each pc the home user has? That is wrong. Damn I hate greedy people.

I am not a MS basher. Most of their software is actually quite good. However, I always will despise Bill and his cohorts for their way of doing business. It makes me sick everytime I hear/read an article such as the Valentine Memo leak.

mdwatts... a very proud owner of illegal Windows software.

Now how can Microsoft actually say that Linux costs more in the long run?
    easy... FUD

That I believe. I used to feel a little guilty and would at least purchase their operating systems and then use illegal copies of Office 97/2000/XP and other MS software. This stopped with XP and their activation scheme. No more buying their os anymore. Get a copy and find a crack.

A few months ago one of our business computer publications included 30-day trial cd's of Office XP Professional. Within 5 minutes I had found a crack. I now have a full working copy of Office XP Pro that doesn't expire. Illegal yes. Do I feel guilty? NO...

I did buy Flight Simulator 2002 yesterday as it was on sale and I don't have many games. Thought I would give it a try.

Now how can Microsoft actually say that Linux costs more in the long run? I can't figure that one out. It has been proven that it takes less personal to support Unix/Linux than it does for Windows servers. The enormous licensing costs for NT/2000/XP servers and all the extra software required if you want anything but the basic operating system ends up costing more than the hardware it runs on. With most Linux distros, all the software you need to run any kind of server is already included with the distro or easily downloaded for free.

Gates just can't handle competition. How much money does he need. All of it? And he expects home users to purchase separate copies of XP home edition for each pc the home user has? That is wrong. Damn I hate greedy people.

I am not a MS basher. Most of their software is actually quite good. However, I always will despise Bill and his cohorts for their way of doing business. It makes me sick everytime I hear/read an article such as the Valentine Memo leak.

mdwatts... a very proud owner of illegal Windows software.
    I still think that this is wrong. It is stealing, no different than walking into a store and stuffing a boxed copy of Windoze XP in your coat.

I loath MS, but I simply will not condone theft.

I still think that this is wrong. It is stealing, no different than walking into a store and stuffing a boxed copy of Windoze XP in your coat.

I loath MS, but I simply will not condone theft.

I know it's wrong. I didn't say it wasn't. I've spent enough money on Microsoft software over the years and now I don't feel like paying for each copy of XP for my 2 home pc's. Besides I only boot Linux and just wanted to see what XP was like. Office XP is not installed though a couple of friends at work have benefited from the crack.

Being the only one here that does not pay for some of the software they use would I guess make me a criminal. Guess it's time for church.
    I have retail copies of 95, 95sr2, 98, 98se, 2000, Office 4.2 and Office 97 pro. Bill has enough of my hard earned money for now.

Advisor

The cost of having a *nix Sys Admin, is greater than having a MSCE certified Sys Admin, even if it wouldn't require the same amount of man hours to maintain the *nix system, they could hire the average Joe to maintain the Win-servers, thus reducing the cost for the manpower with more than 50%.
    Even if it's not that stable a sollution, in the end it will turn out to be a saving, and I'm afraid the market these days would rather turn to savings than performance stabillity.

They want to proove Linux is not free? Free as in beer I hope? I which case, we can pont to this paper: http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stori.../1018.tco.html

good article ..
    i think in the long run linux is cheaper because win is very easy to get it up and running at first compared to linux but when hardware and software failures or security problems occur because of longer running times then linux is much cheaper, even when a Unix admin costs more he probably has more knowledge than a admin who has made his mcse ..

.. just my 2 cents ..

even when a Unix admin costs more he probably has more knowledge than a admin who has made his mcse ..
    There's a customer at the grocery store where I work who's a MSCE. So of course, once in a while we have small arguments (I don't fight much, because he tips very well: he can give me up to 4$ Canadian). But the other day, here's a snippet of what was said:

Vince: "With Linux and BSD, you can get http servers, ftp servers, telnet servers, etc. for nothing. Most of them are free and have very good stability and security."

MSCE: "... are these like Microsoft Office?"

Vince: "...."