Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Is it time for Linux on the desktop?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for Linux on the desktop?

Hybrid View

Mentor

Is it time for Linux on the desktop?

Another year has gone by--an eternity in software-development terms--and it's time once again for PC users to ask themselves: Is Linux ready for the desktop?

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdnnp1tp02

Re: Is it time for Linux on the desktop?

It already makes a better desktop than Windows. Why not?

Mentor

it really depends on what you are using it for.

If your using it for casual use at home , surfing the net getting email stuff like that then yes it's ready but if it going to be for commerical use then no it's not.

It's been ready for the destop for a long time now. It's just not ready for PC dummies who can barely use Windoze -- and I'd say that 80 percent of PC users fall into that category.

Kind Mastermind

I wish these tech pundits would do a little bit of research before writing, or at least choose their words better. Ximian doesn't run on top of Gnome, it is an enhancement to Gnome. Semantics, possibly, but I would like to see these people be a little bit more accurate. Oh, well. Life goes on, as does Linux.

boblucci is right about the commercial use of Linux on the desktop. Unfortunately, given the volunteer status of most projects, it will take awhile before commercial quality apps are as readily available for Linux the way it is for Windows. Luckily, the apps are coming.

I am certain that in the next year or two we will see Linux mature enough that it will be a real alternative to Windows, point for point. At least, I hope so.

Cheers.

hmm are you talking about the desktop or the programs .. cause i think that the desktop could be ready for office use ..

Mentor

what do you guys think about this:
    For those looking to run Linux as their platform but stick with certain Windows applications, a startup called Lindows is aiming to produce such a hybrid. The company will sell version 1.0 of its software in the first quarter of 2002; it's a distribution of Linux with some proprietary software added on, and fine-tuned for running Windows applications for which there is not yet a full-fledged open-source equivalent, such as Microsoft Word.

Mentor

hmm are you talking about the desktop or the programs .. cause i think that the desktop could be ready for office use ..
    i dont think so, what are you going to do about your applications? i work i an environment that can only run windows because that applications are just not there for linux.

Unless you are a developer and have VERY specific needs it's way to hard to configure linux for commerical use. In my work place at least.

I dont think so, what are you going to do about your applications? i work i an environment that can only run windows because that applications are just not there for linux.
    thats what i meant .. the office apps are missing and if you find a similar program that you could use its either very hard to use or not free / very expensive ... but I think the "ready for the desktop thing " means that every average / newbie user could find out how to start programs write emails etc.. the only problem is now to get decent applications

Good Guru

I think you guys are expecting too much out of Linux. Why?

1. Why would a business need free programs?? They have enough money to pay for.

2. Linux can be ready for home use and it's good enough. Tell me which program you can't use for home use? Wordprocessing programs are there. Presendtation programs are there. Email is there. Internet browsers are there.

3. As far as the business use is concern, you will ALWAYS have to customarize your environment. Even with Windows, you will have to. Some will be running Office but some will not. Some business desktops only need a few programs such as mail and database log on.

4. The user training is always there. You just need to have initial batch of people to have trained. I mean even with Windows, you always have to provide tranining. The rest is user to user training. I remember way back then when we had to provide training for office workers to use computers.

5. Ovriously Akami tech is Linux shop. They use Linux for their desktop as well as servers ( Even Microsoft use Akami for DNS thing ;D ). I've never hard that Akami had too much problems with it. They just had to hire more adaptive office workers than your average person with not very incline to learn anything.

6. I think the desktop thing is just a matter of changing one thinking. There are not too many people who like to adopt things ( for better or worse ) than what they already have (even you prove them otherwise).

7. I think not having Linux as my desktop and corporate server is a good thing. Otherwise, how am I going to tell my boss that I'm having sun tan outside of our office with another gals and smoking is due to because our shitty corporate server is down so that no body can do work. Or that my desktop machine needs a reboot and that while at it, I'm just taking a walk and having a cigg. He knows exactly what I'm talking about because he has the same problem with his desktop as mine. ;D