Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for Linux on the desktop?

Kind Mastermind

Re: Is it time for Linux on the desktop?

In many ways, Linux is ready. In many ways, it is not. It is hard to say that Windows is ready for the desktop as well. I don't think that there are any operating systems that are ready. They are all under development, just from different angles. Windows crashes too much for real corporate use, Linux doesn't. Linux doesn't have the proper corporate apps, Windows does.

Let's face it, there is no perfect operating system nor is there a perfect corporate platform. Either it is rock solid without programs, or it is crash prone with loads of programs. We will never have the perfect os, nor will there be a perfect word processor, accounting program, or graphics program. We just have to choose what we want and go from there.

Kind Mastermind

Unless you are a developer and have VERY specific needs it's way to hard to configure linux for commerical use. In my work place at least.
    It is very difficult to configure linux in the government work space as well. We have this crappy peice of software called formflow. It is a form viewer/processor. It crashes the computer all the time, plus, if you hit save, it saves to a format that no program can read. Now, it is only available for Windows. Thus, we will keep windows until they port it over to Linux (where it will crash Linux on a regular basis!).

if it werent ready for the desktop then why the hell would i be using it right now?

linux has email clients, browsers, IM clients, IRC clients, mp3 players, video players, games, .... all the stuff the average desktop has

the question should be: is linux ready for the idiots?

Maybe... never understimate the power of true morons !

You know, there is a debate that rages about intellegence being nature or nutrure, I subscribe to the nurture ethos, therefore I say, release Linux to the desktop, people will adapt and learn to love it as "we" Linux users do, also I really well put together Gnome or KDE desktop is for the vast majority of users pretty luser friendly you know? I mean take Mandy 8 or similar distro, for most users the vast majority would not even need to know a cli existed right? Ok that might be a really horrible thing to say about Linux ie(no cli (gasp)), but if the OS were more proliferic on the desktop then there would be lots more end luser programs for people to use and so on, so if an OEM like Dell were not under such a repressive software giant like m$ then Linux might well take off as a Desktop OS, why not?
    Microsoft employ lots of people around the world don't get me wrong I'm not saying destroy the company, at the same time the monopoly must end, a bit of variety never hurt anyone now did it?

Kind Mastermind

It's obvious that Linux is ready for the desktop. It just depends on what you want to use it for and if you are willing to put up with the limitations.

It already makes a better desktop than Windows. Why not?
    God said it, it must be true.

God said it, it must be true.
    Feztaa has seen the light. It's time you other people do too.

I really hate this kind of generalization. :

Linux is "ready" for my desktop and has been for over a year now. I honestly feel somewhat limited at work when I have to use Win2K and Word, for example. I can do everything I want and need with Linux and do it better than I can in Windows.

But, if I were a hardcore gamer, then no. If I were a hardcore AutoCAD user, then no. If I were dependent on M$ Office, then, well, maybe. If I were a graphic designer, then no, but, as pointed out in The Register, I'd be using a Mac.

Linux is a better server OS than Windows and always has been. It is a better programing worktation or scientific workstation OS than Windows.

And for the average home user who wants to surf the net, get e-mail and maybe write simple documents, I'd say linux is ready. Depends on the user.

So, yes, Linux is ready for the desktop, as long as the user is ready for Linux.

I really hate this kind of generalization. :

Linux is "ready" for my desktop and has been for over a year now. I honestly feel somewhat limited at work when I have to use Win2K and Word, for example. I can do everything I want and need with Linux and do it better than I can in Windows.

But, if I were a hardcore gamer, then no. If I were a hardcore AutoCAD user, then no. If I were dependent on M$ Office, then, well, maybe. If I were a graphic designer, then no, but, as pointed out in The Register, I'd be using a Mac.

Linux is a better server OS than Windows and always has been. It is a better programing worktation or scientific workstation OS than Windows.

And for the average home user who wants to surf the net, get e-mail and maybe write simple documents, I'd say linux is ready. Depends on the user.

So, yes, Linux is ready for the desktop, as long as the user is ready for Linux.
    Well said.