Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft rigging in Zdnet polls!

Microsoft rigging in Zdnet polls!

> > >
    Reported by Zdnet themselves ;-)

I hope no-one else has posted this <g>

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2102244,00.html

I just noticed a 'Will you use linux in 2002' poll there as well. I wonder if that has been rigged by MS?

At home 18.8%
    At work 2.7%
    Both 65.2%
    Neither 13.3%

Re: Microsoft rigging in Zdnet polls!

How many times can MS shoot themselves in the foot like this and STILL maintain the power they have? Most companies would go under from lack of public support if they even thought about pulling petty shit like this. Just shows how dependent the world is on this one hyperpower.

They lost my support long, long ago (although linux wasn't a viable alternative until recently). Could it be true that all Windows users are simply mind-numbingly stupid?

They lost my support long, long ago (although linux wasn't a viable alternative until recently). Could it be true that all Windows users are simply mind-numbingly stupid?
    I have worked at my internship for two days only, but I can answer this: YES!!! Man, most of the time it's just a matter of rebooting...

When are people going to revolt against Microsoft? Will they ever? Humanity is looking more pathetic every day. What's the opposite of evolve? Devolve?

Well, evolution really has no "reverse", but that's a topic best left for the science forums

This is a computer science forum, plus it goes with the topic, plus it was halfway rhetoric.

I understand what you mean by "devolution", but I'm just saying that in the strictest scientific sense, things can only evolve, there is no such thing as devolving.

The problem with the word "devolve" is that it assumes evolution is a linear process, and everything is trying to attain a certain form, which is regarded as "perfection" (which most people consider to be humanity). That's not how it is. Evolution is just the process of a species becoming more adapted to it's environment. There is no such thing as one species being "more evoled" than another species. Evolution has no "finish line", it just keeps going. The environment changes, species evolve to take advantage of the changes. It doesn't stop anywhere

Anyway, back on topic: MS supporters are pretty much sheep. They'll never revolt :

They don't know how to revolt. They wouldn't know how to remove Windows because Bill stuck it on their computer for them.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Many people use Windows both at work and at home. It's easier. When they go out to buy a computer, the only OS offered is Windows and they are unaware of any other OSs. When people talk about computers, they just naturally assume they are all using the same OS and their problems and solutions are geared to Windows. When you say that you are using Linux they can't believe that there is anything else, unless they are aware of Macs. People have to be able to have a choice at the store, because once they have purchased their new computer loaded with M$ software, its unlikely they will be motivated to try another OS [after all, they have spent all that money on this package. We also need to have Linux taught in schools and community colleges. However, the great equalizer; namely, money, may have a greater influence to make the general public look for something else when they start paying the huge sums required to keep up-to-date with Windows. They have a good head-start on other systems, but nothing is carved in stone. Meanwhile, we have to make sure that we inform the people we meet that there certainly is a better choice: Linux. For the Linux Revolution to properly take off, we all have to be salespersons and educators.