Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for a company

Idea for a company

I have an idea for a company. It would be another OEM, but the difference being that we would have our customers answer a few questions to figure out their needs. If their needs are basic (email, internet, maybe the occasional word processing) we would install Linux. In other situations, we may install Lindows (although, I'd personally rather set up something using Debian or something based on Debian.)

This would help to clear up the little thing of Windows being the only OS that is installed on new computers.

Re: Idea for a company

boy i have been thinking of soemthing like that too.

Good Guru

I found this machine at Fry's the other day....

AMD 533 Duron
    128 MB RAM
    ( some kind of ) Linux distro
    There is the desktop area. All you have is three buttons. One for Communication, another for Multimedia and the other for Office. When you go to each screen, you will have more options such as WWW, Mail, News in Communication area and MP3player and movie player in Multimedia. It's exactly for those occational users. it's cheap. Only $ 399. It's also the slim model so no need for big desktops. People have already done it..........

Kind Mastermind

I have an idea for a company. *It would be another OEM, but the difference being that we would have our customers answer a few questions to figure out their needs. *If their needs are basic (email, internet, maybe the occasional word processing) we would install Linux. *In other situations, we may install Lindows (although, I'd personally rather set up something using Debian or something based on Debian.)

This would help to clear up the little thing of Windows being the only OS that is installed on new computers.
    I do that when my friends come to me asking what they should buy. Unfortunately, most of them are hard core gamers, so I have help them with Windows. Of course, putting together a computer is fun, no matter which os goes into it. I just wish my wife would let me build one for myself. Oh, well, that's a battle for another day.

What we really need is a consulting firm, that goes to end users houses, and observes how the end user REALLY uses a computer, take all that good info back to the programmers, and have them program for the end user, not for how they think the end user will be... this would save a TON of hassle, and we would wind up with a decent OS/software.... just imagine....

Advisor

What we really need is a consulting firm, that goes to end users houses, and observes how the end user REALLY uses a computer, take all that good info back to the programmers, and have them program for the end user, not for how they think the end user will be... this would save a TON of hassle, and we would wind up with a decent OS/software.... just imagine....
    And we will end up with a OS costing massive big $$, because the time consumed with specializing it for the end user will _never_ be affordable. Imagine how different computer users are, you wanna create an OS specialized for each and every need the specific user might have ?
    It's imposible to meet every demand.

What we really need is a consulting firm, that goes to end users houses, and observes how the end user REALLY uses a computer, take all that good info back to the programmers, and have them program for the end user, not for how they think the end user will be...
    No, this is exactly what we don't need. Linux is made by developers, for developers. It's an OS that you can get your hands dirty with. It's not a handholding OS like MacOS or Windoze. Certain companies have tried to make linux easier for the end user, but that is their business. That is what they do, and if they want to start asking what the users want, that is their business.

The hobbyists programmers, who work for free in their spare time, have no incentive to make programs for end users. They write code that they want to use, not what your mother wants to use.

True, but not impossible to get a better idea at what people actually care about... instead of spending tons of time and energy on a certian function or look that nobody really cares about...

I just think that on a whole, if developers spend more time with the end user, we would have much better software....

That's just my opinion, I may be wrong....

Kind Mastermind

True, but not impossible to get a better idea at what people actually care about... instead of spending tons of time and energy on a certian function or look that nobody really cares about...

I just think that on a whole, if developers spend more time with the end user, we would have much better software....

That's just my opinion, I may be wrong....
    I agree with you, KP. For way too long, people have been programming with the idea that they just want the program to do something specific. They never thought about what is the most functional way to do something, from the end-user's perspective. That is one reason why Linux hasn't gone further on the desktop. It's not about Linux now, it's about the programs for Linux.

No, this is exactly what we don't need. Linux is made by developers, for developers. It's an OS that you can get your hands dirty with. It's not a handholding OS like MacOS or Windoze.
    Not so fast. While I would be revolted to see Gnu/Linux itself become really simple to use, it would be very nice to have a front-end for the dumb people. That way anyone can use Linux and both the smart and dumb people can use the same software, instead of having to use emulators or dual-boot. That way, we all win. And we already have X11 for a foundation. We just need more user-friendly configurators like Swat and to tie them all together.