Thread: w00t!!!!11

w00t!!!!11

Lol

My mom just got hit with some virus or something, and she's actually fed up with windows! She wants me to install linux for her

I even told her that the interface would be completely different and she'd have to relearn everything, but she still seems interesting. Of course, I'm going to get her the most windows-looking Wm I can find... she wants to come over to my house and see what linux is like, do you guys think I should show her blackbox and try to explain that the interface can be changed limitlessly unlike windows, or do you think I should just install some windowsish WM and show that to her and claim it's the only way that linux _can_ look? (hopefully my LFS system will be fully set up by then, so I'll have a lightening fast KDE install with the windows theme for it).

Who thinks I should install RedmondLinux for her?

Re: w00t!!!!11

I would show her various window managers. You could start out with Ice. Show her it's basically the same, except no desktop icons (thank god). Then after that, show her Blackbox and maybe some others. The beauty of Linux is choice. Let her choose for herself. Just don't overload her with choices.

Redmond Linux or ELX (Everybody' Linux) both are good for newbies.

Otherwise, install something you are familiar with so you can fix it easily if she breaks it.

I say, give her KDE and the dotNET theme to make her feel at home.

im now online with blackbox, and i like it for its speed, but somebody
    more used to windows will like kde better.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

I would show her various window managers. You could start out with Ice. Show her it's basically the same, except no desktop icons (thank god). Then after that, show her Blackbox and maybe some others. The beauty of Linux is choice. Let her choose for herself. Just don't overload her with choices.
    Feztaa, I agree with Tekii's advice, especially the part about not overloading her with choices. I use Ice which I was told was similar to Windows, but not having anything to do with Windows, I wouldn't know, but it's simple and I like it. Also, you should make haste to install Linux for her before whatever is in her medicine loses its effect! <G>

The beauty of Linux is choice.
    I agree, but my mom doesn't want choice, she wants to point and drool. I was just sort of wondering how many of linux's choices I ought to make for her.

I think I might just install KDE and get her using the dotNET theme. It's the most windowsy-looking one I've seen so far.

Feztaa, I agree with Tekii's advice, especially the part about not overloading her with choices.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Not overloading her with choice. I'll probably show her two WM's max.

not having anything to do with Windows, I wouldn't know
    ROFL, you're the greatest

Also, you should make haste to install Linux for her before whatever is in her medicine loses its effect! *<G>
    First chance I get

I'm probably going to install Debian for her. I'm nice and used to it so it'll be hella-easy for me to administer if she manages to break it. I'll probably even set up SSH on her box so I can connect in and fix stuff for her (we live in different cities, yet only 30 mins apart. it's not like I can just walk upstairs and install/fix it for her).