Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOL / Time  Warner and Redhat

AOL / Time  Warner and Redhat

AOL Time Warner Inc. is in talks to buy Red Hat Inc., a prominent distributor of a computer operating system, an acquisition that would position the media giant to challenge arch rival Microsoft Corp., according to sources familiar with the matter.

Washington post article

Oh man, this could be something else. As much as I dislike AOL they do have a zillion users!

Re:  AOL / Time  Warner and Redhat

EEEK! This could suck!!!

If they let RH maintian adherance to the GPL and operate independnetly then it should be okay, AOL may have an interface 99.999% fo linux users find horrid but they are at least helping pay towards mozilla.

If AOL is gonna survive the MSN onslaught with its .NET crap it will need to move from mswin platforms. of course they could roll thier own distro or do soemthing else w/o buying redhat.

They had made noises before about rollin thier own... perhaps they just want to pay the best to do it for them....

</shamless plug for RH>

Kind Mastermind

Re:  AOL / Time *Warner and Redhat

Man, talk about confusing. I really, really despise AOL. I used them in1997, for about one month. Then, I cancelled. They kept billing me for two months. I had to fight with them just to get my money back.

I agree, sort of, with the GPL issue pbharris mentioned. That still won't make me use Redhat ever again, but since I've been converted to the Slackware side, I could care less. I just hope they (aol) do the right thing and leave rh independent (wholly owned subsidiary, I guess).

Re:  AOL / Time *Warner and Redhat

This can only mean one thing...

AOL ports all their software to RH, and maybe even makes their own WM and such so that Linux will finally have a decent point&drool interface for all the lusers out there. AOL converts all it's customers to RH, MS loses market dominance, goes bankrupt, and AOL becomes the new Evil Empire.

(just remember what happened to ICQ when AOL bought it: bloatware)

Look on the bright side. Now you can connect to AOL if you use Linux.

As I was saying at LinuxOrbit, this could possibly turn out well for everyone except Microsoft and Redhat employees. Firsrt of all, as much as we all hate AOL, they do have a huge user base and can really appeal to the masses of dumb computer users. If anyone can make a Linux for stupid people, it would be them, even more so than Microsoft. Then Linux would truely be for everyone and could gain a decent market share. I don't know if it would overtake Microsoft, but that's a good possibility. Secondly, Redhat users probably frown upon this but there's hope for them. What's the beauty of Linux? It's open source. So are most of its applications. There's already a spinoff of Redhat. It's called Mandrake. Who says it can't happen again? If AOL does in fact buy Redhat, I'm sure a group of disgruntled Redhat users will branch off their own distro. So don't fret too early. I never thought I'd say this, but I welcome AOL to the Linux community (though I still don't like them).

doesn't AOL own netscape? and therefore they are already investing a lot of money in Mozilla since a lot of netscape employees work on mozilla so i'd say they've been in the linux community for quite a while already.

since Mozilla is completely open-source, there's no reason why AOL wouldn't allow the same for redhat if they end up buying it. There will probably be an AOL Redhat version that every idiot in the world can use, but i think they'll keep producing the regular Redhat versions as well. If that'll be the case this is gonna be great for linux because it'll bring more people to linux and the regular Redhat distro will continue to exist. If Redhat won't be allowed to continue their regular distro and can only produce AOL Redhat versions than it'll be a great loss for the linux community. Now for all the idiot's out there who don't like redhat for some reason: u should like them because they are getting more businesses to switch to linux because of their services and support so if Redhat won't be allowed to do that anymore than it'll end up bad for linux.

Re: *AOL / Time *Warner and Redhat

Well said. *I think that if this does go through, Red Hat will continue to exist as it is and even move forward on the server side and e-business side. *I also think that we may well see a special, "AOL Linux" edition engineered much like Redmond Linux to be idiot proof and simple to use. *AOL could then take on Microsoft by providing a free OS with AOL enhancements and make the money from service and support. *

I don't like AOL myself, but I hate Microsoft. *And the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

doesn't AOL own netscape? and therefore they are already investing a lot of money in Mozilla since a lot of netscape employees work on mozilla so i'd say they've been in the linux community for quite a while already.

since Mozilla is completely open-source, there's no reason why AOL wouldn't allow the same for redhat if they end up buying it. *There will probably be an AOL Redhat version that every idiot in the world can use, but i think they'll keep producing the regular Redhat versions as well. *If that'll be the case this is gonna be great for linux because it'll bring more people to linux and the regular Redhat distro will continue to exist. *If Redhat won't be allowed to continue their regular distro and can only produce AOL Redhat versions than it'll be a great loss for the linux community. *Now for all the idiot's out there who don't like redhat for some reason: u should like them because they are getting more businesses to switch to linux because of their services and support so if Redhat won't be allowed to do that anymore than it'll end up bad for linux.

between this and the ongoing Lovechild/NGene chapter, my Linux Experience is evolving more into a "made-for-television" drama

Popcorn please