Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XFree86 4.2 is out

Kind Mastermind

Re: XFree86 4.2 is out

Sounds like it is going to be a worthy download! *Man, did they ever change a bunch of things. *I hope the Nvidia updates rock. *Guess we'll find out in a few days !

just installed it
    i don't really notice too many differences, except that X spews out less info when u start it from console but the info is still there in the logfile

I compiled 4.2 from source yesterday and haven't really noticed anything different. Next is to try 4.2 on my other pc with the Radeon VE.

I may try it again, but this time tweak some of the settings for my G450.

Tomorrow I'll give it a try at work with the nVidia tnt2.

Kind Mastermind

Tomorrow I'll give it a try at work with the nVidia tnt2.
    Hey, mdwatts, tell me how that goes. I have a tnt2 based card in my system, so I would love to know if you have any trouble with it. Also, if you don't mind, try to see if it has any performance tweaks over 4.1. Thanks.

Of course, I am going to d/l it this week, regardless. I just want to know if it is really worth it or not.

I must say, I'm surprised.

The nVidia driver has no problems with X4.2 and everything seems quite stable so far.

I compiled and installed it on my LFS system last night, it's über-l33t! ;D

Now all I need to install is a WM...

Hey, mdwatts, tell me how that goes. I have a tnt2 based card in my system, so I would love to know if you have any trouble with it. Also, if you don't mind, try to see if it has any performance tweaks over 4.1. Thanks.

Of course, I am going to d/l it this week, regardless. I just want to know if it is really worth it or not.
    I'll try to compile 4.2 tomorrow if time allows.

After reading numerous posts here and at lno about nVidia cards and Linux and never having one myself, my company gave me another new pc (Compaq EN 1Ghz) just before Christmas. What do you know as it has a nVidia TNT2 Pro and I can finally try out those drivers everyone was talking about.

Would you have to reinstall the nVidia drivers again if you upgrade from X41 to X42?

Hopefully I'll be able to report back on Monday with good news.

stryder144...

I've successfully completed installing X4.2 from source on my Deskpro with RIVA TnT2 Pro. No problems at all.

I was previously running X4.1 with the nVidia GLX-2313/kernel 2314 drivers. Nothing had to be done with the nVidia software as the drivers were still intact after installing X4.2.

I compiled X4.2 and then used the XF86Config-4 from 4.1 rebooted and all works.

It's too early to tell what improvements there are though it does seem a bit faster and the fonts a little clearer (even on a Compaq Trinitron).