Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

YES!!!! Sources: AOL not bidding for Red Hat

Thread: YES!!!! Sources: AOL not bidding for Red Hat

YES!!!! Sources: AOL not bidding for Red Hat

Re: YES!!!! Sources: AOL not bidding for Red Hat

Ah... oh well... Not like I would've cared anyway

I see a flaw!!! This could potentially be GREAT for the PC market. Get this, set up every machine as a dualboot. Most people won't miss the ~600 megs for a normal size linux install and figure that most AOL users just do e-mail and browsing anyway. Hell that was even part of DOJ's deal wasn't it; allowing OEM's to put differant software on their rigs.

Crap. This is going to make it harder for Linux to work up to the top. Let's count on Lindows.

Isn't Lindows full of proprietary software?

I run Linux because it's a good way to run Linux software, if I wanted a good way to run Windows software I would run Windows...

Isn't Lindows full of proprietary software?
    Well if it can run Linux software, I would say not. But people just switching from Windows aren't going to care and we shouldn't since we don't have to use it.

Damn. The big desktop share resides in those who just don't care. It's not the non-technical...it's those who just don't care. I'm in a class of around 200 computer engineers. Somewhere around 25% of us use linux to some degree. The rest of them know what they're doing...they just haven't taken the time to learn linux. Now if AOL could have put RedHat on every machine sold (keep in mind that virtually all machines in my class are from Dell or HP or some such manufacturer), suddenly it goes from 25% of people using linux to damn near 100! Ah well...there's hope yet. Where there's a will there's a way.

It could have been a good thing and it could have been a bad thing. It would have been interesting to see how it would have all played out.