Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Would you pay?

Yes. I bought Mandrake 7.1 last year and a whole bunch of books.

Ive purchased SEVERAL Mandys, including the server version....Ive purchased 2 SuSe distros, and Im getting ready to order Libranet.

I understand that this is FREE software, but these companies have employees that have bills....its way of giving back.

I lurk around sites like these in order to help other Linux users when I can. Thats another way of giving back.

Thats what its all about. You give what you take. Alter and improve for the sake of innovation.

As Debian does not provide ISO images for sid as it is, I would not mind if they started making them and charging for them. *

If they stopped offering binaries for no charge, then I probably would compile from source, but I might decide to support them.

If they stopped offering source for free, then I would stop using *Debian. *

If no GNU/Linux distro offered source for free, then I would use FreeBSD. *

If FreeBSD were not free, then I would not use a computer.

edit: I'd like to change that. If FreeBSD were not free, then I would make my own distro. If I could not do that, then I would not use a computer.

Well, I'd do LFS, but then again I'd do LFS anyway

I might buy Debian discs in the future, if I ever get money, just to support them.

I'd go with FreeBSD or GNU Emacs (you can now install X Window, OpenGL and Vim inside Emacs )

i would have no problem paying for slack or freebsd. i own them both and i like them both.....the only problem i had with debian is that its the _only_ distro that didnt automatically detect my tnt2 card. i can still get it to rwork so that isnt a big deal but i like my slack.

hell, i have mandrake, corel, debian, redhat, slackware, freebsd, and im working on an lfs install.

I'd go with FreeBSD or GNU Emacs (you can now install X Window, OpenGL and Vim inside Emacs )
    Cool. With Vim installed, Emacs would finally have a good text editor. ;D

I have paid for the standard version of RH6 & RH7 when 7 was reasonable ($30). And I bought a 7 something copy of 'Drake a while back. RH7.2 is up to like $60 for the standard version w/ no goodies to speak of. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for Linux to support the cause, but I have downloaded the incrementals of RH. I figured they owed me a download with 7.0 having a broken compiler ...

Hell, for that matter I've bought RR TycoonII, S.O.F. and 2 copies of Quake3 Arena 8) Now I need to build another 3D accel box so I can frag the kid

Cool. *With Vim installed, Emacs would finally have a good text editor. * ;D
    You heard of viper mode, did you?