Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Would you pay?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay?

Would you pay?

What if no GNU/Linux vendors gave ISO's (or binaries in SuSE's case) away online for free? Would you guys pay for the CD's? Build XYZ distro from the source? Do LFS? Make your own distro?

Personally, I would purchase all major releases of my favorite distro and also work on my own for fun.

Re: Would you pay?

Well I use FreeBSD (no secret) and I did buy the 4.0 Power Pak for $60. I just keep up with the versions through cvsups. I might buy 5.0 to help support them, if I have the money.

Well I would pay for some distros, like Debian, Mandrake and ELX since I find them valuable for different kinds of users. And I would be willing to pay for maintaince of the LFS book and the LFS hints since I love LFS so damn much.

Good Guru

I don't think offering a free download for ISO is a requirement even in FSF standards. As long as someone let you see the source code and let you modify it, it's okay.

I would pay for and buy ALL of the software as long as I have the rights to own the code I buy thus enabling me to modify as I wish and use it for myself. Nothing more !

Mentor

yea, i would buy it!

I bought Red Hat 7.1, so that awnsers your question... (;

As soon as I turn in the buisness licenses, I will also be purchasing a RHN contract for my boxen, since it will be a buisness right off then.

I'm all for supporting the Linux Cause.

i would and have! back before one could get linux iso images and CD burners were $1k it was the only good way to get a whole distro - then came cheapbytes

I don't think offering a free download for ISO is a requirement even in FSF standards. As long as someone let you see the source code and let you modify it, it's okay.
    Thats correct. No company has to give out binaries or ISO's.

I have and will purchase as well ... here is my rundown ...

Mandrake 6.0, 7.1
    Slackware 8.0
    FreeBSD 4.0
    OpenBSD 3.0
    Red Hat 5.0, 5.2, 6.1, 7.1
    SuSE 6.3

I think everyone should show some class and buy (and perforce, support) Linux -- whatever distro(s). Someday, after I've gotten over the peak of the learning curve, I hope to be a contributor. I'll pay my own way. 8)

I have purchased every version of Mandrake since 7.1. I like the distro, I like the company and I will give them my money.

I do not have a problem paying reasonable amounts for software.