Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another new set of nVidia drivers

Yet another new set of nVidia drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

Some of you might care... even though nVidia cards are crap... :P

Re: Yet another new set of nVidia drivers

Thanks Lovechild!
    both my nvidia cards will be happy to have new drivers which NVidia has spent quality time developing and doing a good job of documenting.

I can see why you think NVidia is bad, but they do a good job of supporting thier hardware under linux, i really wish 1/10 of other companies would spend as much time (look at scanners, modems, printers, camera's, sound cards mass storage devices and see how much support they give to linux). Also, Raedon has closed up on thier open source initiive (as read in LinuxJournel).

I just did a quick search on www.linuxjournal.com for Radeon and saw nothing about ATI closing their Radeon drivers. You might be thinking of the FireGL series of cards which ATI never claimed was open source.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks Lovechild!
    both my nvidia cards will be happy to have new drivers which NVidia has spent quality time developing and doing a good job of documenting. *

I can see why you think NVidia is bad, *but they do a good job of supporting thier hardware under linux, *i really wish 1/10 of other companies would spend as much time (look at scanners, modems, printers, camera's, sound cards mass storage devices and see how much support they give to linux). *Also, Raedon has closed up on thier open source initiive (as read in LinuxJournel).

I agree with pbharris. Though I am not crazy about closed-source drivers for linux, I appreciate the fact that they release decent drivers quite often. As for the Radeon...I have no idea .

nVidia cards are the best, because when you quit Windows XP, the gray shading effect is most fluid with nVidia cards. With other cards, it's crappy.

nVidia cards are the best, because when you quit Windows XP, the gray shading effect is most fluid with nVidia cards. With other cards, it's crappy.
    Since when does a video card's performance under Windows have any bearing on it's quality?

Since when does a video card's performance under Windows have any bearing on it's quality?
    All the benchmarking of video cards are done in Windows with Quake3 or stuff. SO if it's good in Windows, it's good.

2D quality of my Radeon is better than 2D on my old GeForce... WAY BETTER !!

It's like night and day, and when I'm coding it makes the difference to my eyes, as for 3D, it's not as fast af top notch nVidia cards but I get free TV out on my card and high grade hardware AA. Both of which are missing in GeForce cards.

Face it GeForce cards are tuned for speed, and if you use them for ANYTHING but games, the images they produce are out of focus and texts looks BUTT ugly. Plus their drivers are close source.

8) DRI 8)

Kind Mastermind

Face it GeForce cards are tuned for speed, and if you use them for ANYTHING but games, the images they produce are out of focus and texts looks BUTT ugly. Plus their drivers are close source.
    One of my coworkers thinks that if it isn't the latest and greatest that it isn't worth his time. He doesn't understand that you need to buy the equipment that best fits your needs, not your ego. He will learn soon enough. Of course, he swears by WinME, so maybe he is just plain crazy.

WinME is crap... it's the worst OS to ever be released from M$

Plus my Radeon 7500 isn't the latest and the greatest.. it just works !