Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Linux Your Next OS?

Kind Mastermind

Is Linux Your Next OS?

Interesting article. Just one more mainstream advocacy of the Linux on the desktop. Enjoy!

You can read it here: http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,...a=23172,00.asp, enjoy.

Re: Is Linux Your Next OS?

From the article:
    Unfortunately, the Linux community spends too much of its energy on things such as nomenclature (like the name GNU/Linux versus Linux)...
    Amen. *Get over it, guys!

Kind Mastermind

Amen. *Get over it, guys!
    Here, here! I second that appeal.

Ok boss, sure why not. So what is the OS's name? ;D

I agree, though. While it is good that people know if they are using GNU/Linux or Linux (yes there is a diffrence, just like the diffrence between Darwin and GNU/Darwin except I don't belive there are any non GNU related linux distros yet) it isn't something worth splitting up to sides about.

Heh, fuck it, people are going to use shortcuts, and drop parts of thenames...

Like 'windows' is actually "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition", but what do people call it? "Winxp home" who the fsck cares? what about Red Hat? the REAL name is "Red Hat Linux 7.2" but people call it redhat 7.2. Does it bother people, fuck no... give it a rest...

/rant

Heh, fuck it, people are going to use shortcuts, and drop parts of thenames...

Like 'windows' is actually "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition", but what do people call it? "Winxp home" who the fsck cares? what about Red Hat? the REAL name is "Red Hat Linux 7.2" but people call it redhat 7.2. Does it bother people, fuck no... give it a rest...

/rant
    Very well put

Groovy artcile from that rag - thanks Stryder!

Kind Mastermind

Groovy artcile from that rag - thanks Stryder!
    No problem. It caught my eye, so I thought that I would post it. They usually screw all things linux up anyway, so it's good to see that someone didn't!

Do you think hes right? I mean about if adobe products were ported to GNU/Linux?

Kind Mastermind

Do you think hes right? I mean about if adobe products were ported to GNU/Linux?
    In some ways, yes. It would open up the market to a lot more users. And, as far as GIMP, well, some professionals just prefer Adobe products. It's not that GIMP is bad or subpar, it's just that it's not Adobe. Only time will tell.