Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

High paying programming jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High paying programming jobs

Hybrid View

High paying programming jobs

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about learning a new programming language or software package that will help me land a high paying programming job. What programmers are in high demand these days? What language or software package should I start learning? I was thinking about Oracle and Java, but not really sure.

Re: High paying programming jobs

Why not train yourself to do something that you find is fun, not just what's in demand..

Anyways, I would learn C#, which will be the next big thing on the scene, IMHO.

Other good stuff to know. Apache, Samba, MySQL and Basic Networking.

But that's just me and my stuck up opinion, don't blame me if I'm wrong.

Database programmers make the most money of all programmers as far as I know, but knowing any language is not enough to be one

Database programming pays high, because no programmer wants to do that since it's boring.

Go join Oracle, work for a few weeks, quit and tell me it's boring, then I'll believe you.

Go join Oracle, work for a few weeks, quit and tell me it's boring, then I'll believe you.
    I did database programming au cégep, and let me tell you, I wish I don't have to do it again! I don't care about money really (I don't need much to be happy), so there's no way I'll be a DB programmer. I mean, programming MooBot is much more fun!

Mentor

What do you guys exactly mean by "database programming"? Is it just knowing how to form SQL statements or is there more to it?

how to -make- Oracle/DB2/SQL/etc...

Anyways, I would learn C#, which will be the next big thing on the scene, IMHO.
    I beg to differ about the C# comment (no, I don't disagree cause MS makes it!). I've looked into it somewhat and find it lacking in a lot of areas. While it might rival Java in it's distributed capabilities it can not come close to the pure C languages, perl, python, lisp, or ruby (I think, GnuVince can vouche for it).

C# follows the Microsoft philosophy: one tool to rule them all. They try to put EVERYTHING into it. These days, most application languages are fairly safe and use safe features. C# by defaults uses safe features, but it's possible to use unsafe features with it (e.g: manual memory manipulation). C# is of no interest really, because other languages out there do what it does, and they do it better.