Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft is worse than other propritary formats

Microsoft is worse than other propritary formats

refering back to the thread about realplayer and propritary formats here is one good reason to support anything that is not from microsoft:

http://news.com.com/2010-1075-882846.html

Because Microsoft can make proprietary and patented enhancements to software under the weaker licenses, it can apply its embrace-and-enhance strategy: Microsoft introduces incompatibility into the Microsoft version of the software, and forces the public version of the software out of the market because it won't interoperate with the Windows version. Only a vendor that dominates the market could use such a strategy to maintain its monopoly. The GPL-licensed Linux system is the only one that has been able to make a dent in that monopoly.

Microsoft executives justify their position with the mantra, "We are for strong intellectual-property protection." But only when it's to Microsoft's advantage; otherwise, Microsoft wouldn't be pressuring others to weaken their open-source licensing. Even during the penalty phase of their antitrust prosecution, the company still can't settle for a piece of the software industry pie. Although Microsoft's compromise with the U.S. Department of Justice is crafted to make it seem that a competitor could enter, it still leaves Microsoft owning the whole pie.
    go ahead and tell me that if it is not GPL it is crap and evil, but at this point i am open to anything that will run on a GPL based plattform. if ya don't think MS has a truckload of power please think again. they are out to destroy the competition by any means they can. i am getting quite concerned about the future of Linux and GNU software, MS's .net sure as **** won't operate nicely with GPL software.

maybe this should be moved to rants...

Re: Microsoft is worse than other propritary forma

go ahead and tell me that if it is not GPL it is crap and evil
    I never said that, and I don't believe it. There are plenty of other good free licenses out there.

, but at this point i am open to anything that will run on a GPL based plattform. if ya don't think MS has a truckload of power please think again. they are out to destroy the competition by any means they can.
    And you don't think that RealNetworks would excercise that same power if they had it?

i am getting quite concerned about the future of Linux and GNU software.
    Then don't support nonfree software!

I never said that, and I don't believe it. *There are plenty of other good free licenses out there.
    this was meant to be vs MS, not yourself Mr Shadow , anyway i agree there are many good licenses out there. BSD is not one of them.

And you don't think that RealNetworks would excercise that same power if they had it?
    I am sure they would, but at this time they at least release software for other plattforms.

Then don't support nonfree software!
    I think it will take most of the non-MS computing world to stand up to MS, at this point i think MS can over take AOL, real, Sun, and GNU/Linux - at least in the United States where thier $$ can make things like linux illeagel.

BSD is not one of them. *

Hahaha! ;D The main reason why Linux has a good TCP/IP stack is because they took pretty much of what was in BSD. There was also this story of a ATA developper that took the header file of a BSD developper and removed the copyright.

Hahaha! *;D * The main reason why Linux has a good TCP/IP stack is because they took pretty much of what was in BSD. *There was also this story of a ATA developper that took the header file of a BSD developper and removed the copyright.
    I just don't like the way the BSD licence allows other to use work from others for free and give back. BSD itself is very good as a plattform.

The main reason why Linux has a good TCP/IP stack is because they took pretty much of what was in BSD.
    There's another OS that did that, too. Some obscure thing from Redmond, you probably haven't heard of it.

I just don't like the way the BSD licence allows other to use work from others for free and give back. BSD itself is very good as a plattform.
    I do agree with you. It sucks how Microsoft has stolen the FreeBSD tcp/ip stack and no one can do anything about it. On the other hand though, it has caused Microsoft some embarrassment over the situation. Also, despite ripping the code, Windows still isn't up there with FreeBSD. It's pathetic.

Good Guru

Put it this way -- when the monkeys can actually work more than fling shit -- MS may actually get useful for me.

I do agree with you. It sucks how Microsoft has stolen the FreeBSD tcp/ip stack and no one can do anything about it. On the other hand though, it has caused Microsoft some embarrassment over the situation. Also, despite ripping the code, Windows still isn't up there with FreeBSD. It's pathetic.
    They did not steal it: they did what the license allowed them to do. And since the BSD's take pride that their work is being used in commercial projects and don't have a problem with it (which is why they don't use the GPL), then who cares? They don't. I never heard of any BSD developpers that was angry that his code was considered the best and was good enough to be used in commercial projects.

They did not steal it: they did what the license allowed them to do. *And since the BSD's take pride that their work is being used in commercial projects and don't have a problem with it (which is why they don't use the GPL), then who cares? *They don't. *I never heard of any BSD developpers that was angry that his code was considered the best and was good enough to be used in commercial projects.
    Amen brutha! ;D The BSD tcp/ip stack was (is?) pretty much the best. They don't mind people using the code as it's part of their free as in beer and free as in freedom license. While I do like GPL about the same as I like MBSD license the MBSD license is more free. I choose to license most of my code GPL though :P.