Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RHCE worth it? I think my last post got lost
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RHCE worth it? I think my last post got lost

RHCE worth it? I think my last post got lost

Quicky for you guys, Anyone that has their RHCE. Is it worth the time and effort. Have you had better luck with companies and is there more loot if you have it. I dont really have the money to just blow if its not gonna help me in the long run. Thanx in advance.

Re: RHCE worth it? I think my last post got lost

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the option to do one of the following:

CCNP
    Finish my MCSE (Win2k, I'm currently --or was-- NT4 certified)
    RHCE

I work with both RH and Win2k a lot, but have no Cisco experience. If you had the choice, which do you think would be the best cert for future employment?

Well I hear all this crap about "you gotta know Windoze and NIX not just NIX to get a good job" I hate hearing that and I say if a company needs me to know W2K server then they are prob not the type of company I want to be working for. Win belongs on a desk for new or un-educated users ONLY! So after all that ranting I would say go for the Cisco cert. I would kill to have my company pay for that course for me. Plus Cisco cert guys make some good loot as far as I know. I am leaning more to Oracle, Linux, and UNIX. S**t, if a company doesnt want me with that knowlege then I dont want to work for them. Yes I am a little bitter.
    Windows is a glorified name for Web TV

Well currently I am in Cisco class and have taken a few of the M$ 2k classes. I passed my A+ and the first MCSE (win2k) MCP. I am taking a redhat class next month.....From what I hear from my teacher (shes a freaking CCIE soon!) the marketplace still sucks. She also says not to go CCNP but to go CCSE (secuirty expert, new cert)

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get a college degree. All those certs are meaningless in comparison.

I have a friend who does headhunting for CCIEs and other Cisco professionals. He told me that something like 70% of the people he placed a few years back are currenlty out of work and are willing to work for a third of what they once made (they all got killed when all the dot coms and ISPs went under). He did say, however, that 2003 is supposed to be a stellar year for IT professionals and that jobs will open up again soon. I'm wondering if Cisco will be the way to go, or perhaps some other *nix cert (Solaris perhaps).

Man lets just hope your friend is right. I made it through all the tough times this year but then again I dont make that much to begin with :'(

Mentor

I just went on a interview and the person said that he throws away all the resumes from people that have certs. and no experience.

You can have all the certs. in the world but if you dont have time on the machines the certs dont really mean anything.

Posted by: boblucci Posted on: 04/26/02 at 08:51:33
    I just went on a interview and the person said that he throws away all the resumes from people that have certs. and no experience.
    Thats very true in some cases, but at the same time theres plenty of employers out there that look for the certification first. Just depends on whos doing the hiring, some like certs, some only real world experience. Thats why you do both! Get some low level certs, A+, N+, etc, then you get a tech support job and the experience. Thats what Im doing!

You can have all the certs. in the world but if you dont have time on the machines the certs dont really mean anything.

I agree with completely. You can't imagine how many cert-type classes I have gone to and never taken the exam for. However, my rule of thumb is this: If I go to a class for something I work with every day, I don't go after it's cert. Hpwever, if I go to a class for something that I won't work with outside of the classroom, then I get the cert.