Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

NEWS: Is GConf the way ahead

Thread: NEWS: Is GConf the way ahead

NEWS: Is GConf the way ahead

Quite a nice little article on alternatives to the registry, and how we should store our settings in the future. Personally I've always felt that having all our settings in text files in /etc was a good idea, because it made it easy to edit. But building databases for settings like Windows does also has it's advantages.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...,70520,00.html

Re: NEWS: Is GConf the way ahead

Doesn't ANYONE have an opinion on this ??

yea
    it sux
    config files for each application are better

the registry is one of the weakest points of the windows operating system

Doesn't ANYONE have an opinion on this ??
    maybe

I don't think this is a good idea - i mean when you compare the current handling of config files .. like its done now with /etc and .rc files it has more advantages than disadvantages. And a bloated central registry would only give you a loss in speed and its more vulnerable to attacks imho ..

Well I would like it if we could centralise the settings some more and give them a common interface. So I'm for GConf as such, I think it will make the world a better place.

But as I said I'm scared that this will mean no more editing my settings in VIM when thing are broken, and I would hate to have to rely all my setting on one program.. one which a bad version would enable it to create MaJOR HAVOK..

I think we can't avoid making a system like GConf sometime in the future... so we might as well get use to it.
    And for god sack don't make the damn thing binary, keep the XML system, it's MUCH safer..

But as I said I'm scared that this will mean no more editing my settings in VIM when thing are broken, and I would hate to have to rely all my setting on one program.. one which a bad version would enable it to create MaJOR HAVOK..

exactly ..

I think we can't avoid making a system like GConf sometime in the future... so we might as well get use to it.
    And for god sack don't make the damn thing binary, keep the XML system, it's MUCH safer..
    xml will be much safer, but i just dont like the conception of having a centralized config location ..

can u give me one reason why we really can't avoid it? config files have always worked great and continue to do so. there's nothing that indicates this might change in the future.

can u give me one reason why we really can't avoid it? config files have always worked great and continue to do so. there's nothing that indicates this might change in the future.
    I'm just thinking that if we increase the number of configuration files the way we have done before, /etc will be the mess of all times (imho it already is on most distros) and that's poses a problem with usability - one that a centralised system would "probably" avoid.

I like structured databases so shoot me, I think that having one for our settings would be a good move for control factors, we avoid a lot of mess, it's easier to maintain... sadly we might lose the epic hardcore hacker feel... I don't really care, I want to use my system.

Anyways I wanna see how GConf unfolds, before I make up my mind weither it's good or bad, but I must say I like the idea of being able to make network wide databases for our settings, I believe that it will make maintaining networked clients easier.

hmmm, i'm still not convinced

i actually think a database would cause more of a mess than config files

hmmm, i'm still not convinced

i actually think a database would cause more of a mess than config files
    Maybe, but let's see how it pans out before we judge the project...