Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United Linux

United Linux

http://www.unitedlinux.com/

There was a hint to this on one of the stories on the front page. It seems it's here. Opinions, anyone?

Good Guru

Re: United Linux

http://www.unitedlinux.com/

There was a hint to this on one of the stories on the front page. *It seems it's here. *Opinions, anyone?
    Looks promising, well on paper that is Apparently the schedule states that 2002Q4 is the final for 1.0

I've been following this idea for a while now. While it seems like a good idea it also seems kind of odd. Yes, we all want LSB standard but I always have a bad feeling when Caldera gets involved.

The funny thing (well to me ...) is that 3 of the four companies started out as Red Hat Based/Like and now want to get rid of the Red Hat dominance.

The funny thing (well to me ...) is that 3 of the four companies started out as Red Hat Based/Like and now want to get rid of the Red Hat dominance.
    Hmmm....is this going to turn out to be a case of "Deja Vu"?

Kind Mastermind

I've been following this idea for a while now. While it seems like a good idea it also seems kind of odd. Yes, we all want LSB standard but I always have a bad feeling when Caldera gets involved.

They all started out as RH-based (at least I'm pretty sure that *Conectiva is RH-based). *Anyway, I started out using Caldera and really like them. *Unfortunately, I have no idea what they are trying to prove. *First, they had a great distro with a great installer. *Next, they buy SCO Unix. *Now, they are lost. *So, your assessment seems pretty dead on to me. *I hope they can pull it off. *Hopefully, they will bring some good, innovative products to market. *Otherwise, it will be a bad deal.

The only one I think that wasn't RH based was Caldera (but still use RPM's).

Caldera has a bad reputation for using closed source code in open technology to try to force licensing ... thats my beef with them.

My problems with it:

Only free for non-commercial use. Non redistributable binaries. You can't copy it for a friend. Inclusion of closed source stuff, making it illegal to redistribute it in source form. (so basically you can only buy it. Period.) Underhanded way of not including other distros until _after_ a contract was written, so no other distro has a say in anything.

Anyway, just looks like 3 dead distro's and SuSe trying to gain some market ground.... unfortionatly I think it will only hurt SuSe in the long run.

Re:United Linux

SuSE has stood up and said no to Ransome and that they have no want to hijack the GPL license. I think that as long as Ransom Loves stupid closed source ideas are subverted it should work out fine.

i don't like that they seem to be taking shots at RH, there is a much bigger fish to fry...

[quote author=pbharris link=board=13;threadid=2011;start=0#36593 date=1023243505]
    i don't like that they seem to be taking shots at RH, there is a much bigger fish to fry...
    [/quote]

Agreed! Really, Red Hat is very good example of Open Source Software Buisness and I think thats why Mr. Love hates them so much. They are open and have a better cash flow. Caldera tries to close stuff and has a problem with money.