Thread: Are the latest round of distros buggy?

Are the latest round of distros buggy?

Actually, I don't think it is the distros as much as KDE. I've been having all kinds of trouble. In 'drake 8.1 everything was messing up. The file permissions would change randomly, various settings would revert to a default state regardless of how I set them. Redhat 7.2 was much better as it was only problems w/ KDE changing fonts on me to weird things. Anyone else experience this?

Kind Mastermind

Re: Are the latest round of distros buggy?

Actually, I don't think it is the distros as much as KDE. *I've been having all kinds of trouble. *In 'drake 8.1 everything was messing up. *The file permissions would change randomly, various settings would revert to a default state regardless of how I set them. *Redhat 7.2 was much better as it was only problems w/ KDE changing fonts on me to weird things. *Anyone else experience this?
    While I haven't quite had the kde issue, drake 8.1 and Turbolinux 7 would not boot past the apm portion of the boot process. I could never figure out why I couldn't even boot all the way, so I installed Slack 8. Everything works fine now! Anyone have the boot problem or know of a way to stop it from happening again?

Hrm... Slack 8 seems to be just fine, although there were a few brief moments of weirdness when I upgraded from kde 2.1 to 2.2.1, but I'm blaming that on new configs and minor version changes in the apps.

Debian Woody is just fine... once you get it configured properly

Debian Woody is just fine... once you get it configured properly
    I would hardly call that a "latest round of distro's" (; Debian has been pretty much the same for a while no? Some suttle differences in the testing or unstable pack, but other than that....

I've been using Enigma, or Red Hat 7.2 for those of you who don't know, and I love it. Totally stable, totally fast, KDE rox, and yeah...

if KDE is buggy on ur distro then simply remove it, and install it yourself. it's not hard trust me.. i've done it a couple of times already. check the installation instructions on kde.org. or if u want a highly optimized kde then use the kde hint on hints.linuxfromscratch.org (but skip the installation of all the extra libraries because u'll probably have them already... just run configure for every kde package and check the output... if u need an extra library then it will let u know)

if u want something done right => do it yourself (www.linuxfromscratch.org)
    or install slackware

link=board=general&num=1007176789&start=0# 4 date=12/04/01 at 10:34:22]I would hardly call that a "latest round of distro's" (; Debian has been pretty much the same for a while no? Some suttle differences in the testing or unstable pack, but other than that....
    What do you mean by that? Woody is the testing distro of Debian, in other words all the packages are ultra-new.

I can't speak for Debian potato. I looked at some of the packages and they are ancient. I didn't even bother trying to install it, I went straight to woody when I migrated from Mandrake. Woody has all the latest versions of my favorite software, like Vim 6 and Mutt 1.3.25...

What kernel level though? From what I've heard of Woody, pointed to unstable, it's still a bit behind.... BUT I could be mis informed.... I'm just not into that whole Debian thing...

Well, I installed 2.4.12, but I'm pretty sure that 2.4.13 was already available, and I know I've seen 2.4.14 in dselect (I'm not very gung-ho about upgrading my kernel, unless I need to. When I had 'drake installed, I was using 2.4.3).

I'm not in Debian now, but I'll let you know the latest kernel version available next time I boot into it (ATM I'm using windows just because the sound is better... I guess I'm more of an audio purist than I thought )

link=board=general&num=1007176789&start=0# 7 date=12/05/01 at 10:44:35]
    What kernel level though? *From what I've heard of Woody, pointed to unstable, it's still a bit behind.... *BUT I could be mis informed.... *I'm just not into that whole Debian thing...
    Well, while "Woody" isn't released yet (officially), you can get the iso's of it (several of them)... you can get "Sid", too. That's probably the most bleeding-edge you can get right now.
    As for which kernel it comes with, who really cares? The kernel really has nothing to do with how KDE performs. And you can upgrade to any kernel you want in Debian just as you can with the others.
    I am running Libranet 1.9.1, upgraded a lot of stuff to "Sid" and kernel 2.4.13. It's rock-solid and fast. I use that far more than I've ever used my red hat machine.
    By the way, all you do to get KDE 2.2.2 on your Debian machine is point your sources.list to "sid" or "unstable" (rather than "potato" or "woody" repositories) and run:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kdebase konqueror koffice kmail

That's a pretty good start. Have fun.

(As an aside, while I do like KDE2.2.2, I use WindowMaker0.70 for the most part... and blackbox. So much less clutter.)

CP