Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Story of GNOME and KDE...

Story of GNOME and KDE...

KDE was the first of the two desktops to be created. Most people were happy, but some did not like, what was then proprietary, its dependencies on Qt, so GNOME was started.

GNOME was meant to be completely free, and so started everything from scratch, using C, which is considered by many a poor language to create a GUI in.

GNOME became quite popular with the corporates since it had no ties to a competing company and, in fact, a company named Ximian was thusly born, of which, one of the founders was the founder of GNOME, Miguel de Izaca. Another company, Eazel, also came along to compete with Ximian, and so thus started a fierce, but subtle battle between the two GNOME companies, and yet all the KDE/Qt based companies cooperated more often than competed.

In fact, Trolltech eventually licensed the Unix version of Qt under the GPL, and so thus KDE as a whole became recognized and embraced by the FSF/GNU (even though RMS thought the KDE/Qt people owed them an apology for having Qt being formerly proprietary.)

Increasingly, those corporates behind GNOME began to have an increasing influence in the development of GNOME and the development of GNOME became more closed than KDE's development. Even the KDE League, whose members are largely corporate, has a mission statement stating that they will have no influence on the development of KDE, quite different from the mission statement of the GNOME Foundation.

Eazel did not survive, but Nautilus, their star software, coninued on and was eventually embraced by Ximian (how ironic.) This was to prove how open source software can survive, even if the company did not. It was, however, a huge blow to the idea that OSS made money. And yet, The Kompany and Trolltech are still in business. Then again, so is Ximian, but we all know they are struggling to stay in business.

Now, with Evolution complete, Ximian has stated that they cannot, any longer, produce 100% open source software. It is true that neither The Kompany nor Trolltech do either, but they never committed themselves to that idea, whereas Ximian did, and now they are turning around and saying that they cannot.

Does it not seem strange to anyone else how the tables have turned for the two most popular Unix desktops?

Associate

Re: Story of GNOME and KDE...

i say good for them. ximian has done alot to help out the open source community. they need a way to stay in business. i don't just exchange so i don't really care for that part ( which is the proprietary part). and if i did, i would gladly pay for it.

Well told. Interesting history.

Thank you for the story - was very interesting. I am a relative newbie to Linux. Actually I do not mind paying for a program - it is the right to make a profit that has made this country the power house it is. I could be wrong but I am under the impression that the "free" in Linux pertains to the source code - not "free" programs. I figure I have so many, good, free programs I cannot really complain if a favorite or two of mine begin to charge. Again thanks for the info.
    -------------------------------------
    KDE was the first of the two desktops to be created. *Most people were happy, but some did not like, what was then proprietary, its dependencies on Qt, so GNOME was started.

GNOME was meant to be completely free, and so started everything from scratch, using C, which is considered by many a poor language to create a GUI in.

GNOME became quite popular with the corporates since it had no ties to a competing company and, in fact, a company named Ximian was thusly born, of which, one of the founders was the founder of GNOME, Miguel de Izaca. *Another company, Eazel, also came along to compete with Ximian, and so thus started a fierce, but subtle battle between the two GNOME companies, and yet all the KDE/Qt based companies cooperated more often than competed.

In fact, Trolltech eventually licensed the Unix version of Qt under the GPL, and so thus KDE as a whole became recognized and embraced by the FSF/GNU (even though RMS thought the KDE/Qt people owed them an apology for having Qt being formerly proprietary.)

Increasingly, those corporates behind GNOME began to have an increasing influence in the development of GNOME and the development of GNOME became more closed than KDE's development. *Even the KDE League, whose members are largely corporate, has a mission statement stating that they will have no influence on the development of KDE, quite different from the mission statement of the GNOME Foundation.

Eazel did not survive, but Nautilus, their star software, coninued on and was eventually embraced by Ximian (how ironic.) *This was to prove how open source software can survive, even if the company did not. *It was, however, a huge blow to the idea that OSS made money. *And yet, The Kompany and Trolltech are still in business. *Then again, so is Ximian, but we all know they are struggling to stay in business.

Now, with Evolution complete, Ximian has stated that they cannot, any longer, produce 100% open source software. *It is true that neither The Kompany nor Trolltech do either, but they never committed themselves to that idea, whereas Ximian did, and now they are turning around and saying that they cannot.

Does it not seem strange to anyone else how the tables have turned for the two most popular Unix desktops?

All languages are considerd by many to be poor languages to create a GUI inand yet all the KDE/Qt based companies cooperated more often than competed..

Another company, Eazel, also came along to compete with Ximian, and so thus started a fierce, but subtle battle between the two GNOME companies, ...
    Eazel didn't come to fight against Ximian, infact Ximian embraced Eazels Open Source file manager Nautilus in Gnomve 1.4 (as did the Gnome Foundation).

I don't really think they have turned so much as KDE has joined Gnome in the 100% OSS arena. You can argue that Ximain is the packaging OSS Gnome with patches and that makes Gnome corporate, but it's not to strong of an arguement. Gnome (www.gnome.org) is more stable anyways.

Gnome (www.gnome.org) is more stable anyways.
    well, gnome never ran stable on my box
    kde however hasn't crashed on me once since using kde 2.2.x

I ment Gnome is more stable than Ximian Gnome.

oh ok

Kind Mastermind

Very nice story, indeed. I think that KDE is much more exciting, but I have found several programs that were much nicer under Gnome than KDE. That has me vasilating between running Gnome and running KDE. I don't want both on my machine, but it seems a little bit too difficult to set up a box that can run a Gnome-based program under KDE (dependencies are a big problem), without having both GNOME and KDE. I really hate that. Oh, well. Such is life.

I don't want both on my machine, but it seems a little bit too difficult to set up a box that can run a Gnome-based program under KDE (dependencies are a big problem), without having both GNOME and KDE. I really hate that. Oh, well. Such is life.
    not at all my friend... all u need is to install KDE, then gnome-libs and u will be able to run gnome programs under KDE without having that entire waist of space some people refer to as Gnome on ur system. this won't just work with any gnome-program though because GNOME programs are known for their shitloads of dependencies