Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: various questions

various questions

hi all -
    if you can answer any or all, i'd really appreciate your input.

1. i've been running redhat for about a year and a half. *i've pretty much got the hang of most everything. *i've been thinking of switching to freebsd. *how difficult of a transition is it between the two platforms? *what things should i research before moving to freebsd?

2. looks like in order to get xcdroast to work properly, i need to enable scsi emulation on my kernel. *is there a quick way to do this in rh7.2, or do i have to do a full recompile of my kernel?

3. anyone know of file sharing programs as good as morpheus or direct connect for linux? *how do you guys get your warez and movies? *if i could run morpheus and direct connect in linux, i think i'd probably blow away my win xp partition...

4. ben affleck - does he have any cred left as an actor after pearl harbor?

5. after how many weeks after you've quit smoking cold turkey can you say that you've officially 'quit'? 3? 4?

thanks
    p.

Re: various questions

3. anyone know of file sharing programs as good as morpheus or direct connect for linux?
    http://www.gnutelliums.com/linux_unix/

My favorite is Napshare.

how do you guys get your warez and movies?
    In case you'd forgotten, this is Linux. Apps are free. Warez is for losers.

[quote]5. after how many weeks after you've quit smoking cold turkey can you say that you've officially 'quit'? 3? 4?

As soon as the cravings go away, because until then you're still addicted.

Advisor

1. Something.. redhat, something.. BSD..
    There are a few diffenrencies in those, first of all, redhat is linux, FreeBSD is BSD. The commands can be different in the arguments they take, the hardware support is different, BSD uses slices in partitioning, where linux uses "Tough one.." partitions..
    2. Something.. cd-roast something... kernel compile...
    If you're running the regular RedHat kernel you're almost there, in your /etc/lilo.conf make a few changes ie:
    Code:
    append="hdd=ide-scsi"
    And in your /etc/modules.conf make a few changes, ie:
    Code:
    alias scd0 srmod 
    alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi 
    options ide-cd ignore=hdd
    If your burner is /dev/hdd then in your /dev system make a few changes ie:
    # rm -f /dev/cdrom && ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
    Reboot and use # cdrecord -scanbus to see, that theres a new 0,0,0 device which apparently is the burner you now can use.

If it's not a redhat kernel, then you need to build a new one, and enable the scsi emulation, and scsi generic device support.
    3. Something.. filesharing.. warez.. XP...
    I dont use warez, what do you need it for?? its linux, the source is with you brotha/sista (what ever)..
    4. ben affleck - actor somethiing... pearl harbor..
    I didn't even know he was old enough to be stationed at pearl harbor ?
    5. Smoking, and quitting...
    Who wants to quit ? Just look at ralinx avatar, even tux get high.. .

In case you'd forgotten, this is Linux. Apps are free. Warez is for losers.
    bad choice of words on my part. i don't use them in linux. thanks

There are a few diffenrencies in those, first of all, redhat is linux, FreeBSD is BSD. The commands can be different in the arguments they take, the hardware support is different, BSD uses slices in partitioning, where linux uses "Tough one.." partitions..
    If you're running the regular RedHat kernel you're almost there, in your /etc/lilo.conf make a few changes ie:
    Code:
    append="hdd=ide-scsi"
    And in your /etc/modules.conf make a few changes, ie:
    Code:
    alias scd0 srmod 
    alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi 
    options ide-cd ignore=hdd
    If your burner is /dev/hdd then in your /dev system make a few changes ie:
    # rm -f /dev/cdrom && ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
    Reboot and use # cdrecord -scanbus to see, that theres a new 0,0,0 device which apparently is the burner you now can use.

If it's not a redhat kernel, then you need to build a new one, and enable the scsi emulation, and scsi generic device support.
    I dont use warez, what do you need it for?? its linux, the source is with you brotha/sista (what ever)..
    I didn't even know he was old enough to be stationed at pearl harbor ?
    Who wants to quit ? Just look at ralinx avatar, even tux get high.. .

-yes i have a rh kernel, but my burner is /dev/cdrom1. i also don't use lilo, i boot off a kernel on a boot floppy. what do you think - recompile?

I don't recomend warez and what not but there is kazaa for linux and gnutella.

i really think i might wipe out this windows partition for good

Huzzah!

Advisor

-yes i have a rh kernel, but my burner is /dev/cdrom1. i also don't use lilo, i boot off a kernel on a boot floppy. what do you think - recompile?
    That dosn't matter, the /dev/cdrom1 is just a symbolic link to your drive possition ie:
    redhead@sindre{51} ~> ls -l /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 dec 8 02:05 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

this tells you the /dev/cdrom is pointing to /dev/hdc, just localize, where it is, and then parse that onto your kernel during boot, so instead of appending the line from your /etc/lilo.conf, parse it onto you rboot sequence ie: linux hdd=ide-scsi, and use the settings for the /etc/modules.conf etc. The basic RH kernel has scsi emulation as a module, and if it isn't told which device to load it for, then it wont be used.

Im not sure if the changes in /etc/modules.conf will make the parsing of hdd=ide-scsi obsolete, but from closereading those I would say theres a pretty good chance.. Basicaly what that does, is to tell the kernel, when loading the ide-cd driver, then dont look at /dev/hdd for a cdrom drive, and when loading the scsi emulation, assign first found drive to /dev/scd0 instead of its usual /dev/hd*

Kind Mastermind

hi all -
    if you can answer any or all, i'd really appreciate your input.

1. i've been running redhat for about a year and a half. *i've pretty much got the hang of most everything. *i've been thinking of switching to freebsd. *how difficult of a transition is it between the two platforms? *what things should i research before moving to freebsd?
    The biggest thing to research is hardware compatibility and finding the apps you want (or their equivelants).

4. ben affleck - does he have any cred left as an actor after pearl harbor?
    Hey, PH wasn't too bad a flick. Kind of a an actiony chick flick. So, as long as women think he is dreamy (yuck), then he has all the cred he needs.

5. after how many weeks after you've quit smoking cold turkey can you say that you've officially 'quit'? 3? 4?

thanks
    p.
    Feztaa is right, once you quit feeling the need to smoke, then you can say you are nicotine free.