Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Story of GNOME and KDE...

Re: Story of GNOME and KDE...

Ah, thought it could be done with most things.

Speaking of objprelinking related stuff, I still have to fix the kernel on my LFS box and start the BLFS book
    the BLFS book isn't finished yet
    maybe there are already some usefull things in there, but i'd say ur better off using the hints and doing it on ur own once u finished the base system

Right; I just meant that I'm at the end of the LFS book and I need to move on from there because if I don't, I'll be stuck using Debian for a while.

The problem with LFS at this point is that my parents rely on my computer to be functional nearly all the time, so I can just reboot to test some other distro unless I'm home alone, which doesn't happen often while I'm in school. I don't think I'll really get a chance to play with LFS until I start writing my final exams for this semester (which is basically a 2-week time frame in which I only have to go to school for 3 days, and my parents will be at work regularly through the whole thing).

You caught my attention about XFCE. You seem to be enthusiastic about it. Can it be used the same as KDE or Gnome, i.e., set to go straight there? What features about it do you like?
    -----------------------------
    8) XFCE 8)

It's actually fast, and it is a whole DE like KDE and Gnome...

Well, I like that it's fast

I personally don't use it because I'm waiting for it to mature just a bit. There's one feature that I absolutely need in a WM, and XFCE just doesn't have it. That's the ability to maximize a window horizontally or vertically, but not necessaryily both at the same time. XFCE makes you either maximize the window to the entire screen, or waste your time resizing it. That drives me nuts. Aside from that it's a really great WM

It has a lot of features, too. Very configurable menu bar that you can move anywhere on the screen. It has it's own file browser and text editor which are very nice if you like those sorts of GUI tools, but I prefer the console myself.

It also has nice default themes, so you don't have to spend hours of tweaking to get something decent looking, like with some WMs (*cough*afterstep*cough*).

Oh, and my favorite thing about XFCE is that it's the only WM I've seen that lets you change the colors of the mouse cursor. If there's one habit that I just can't break from my 7 years of windows usage, it's enjoying the white mouse cursor with the black outline. I've just never gotten used to linux's black cursor with the white outline. XFCE lets me make it any color, but I particularly like white

You are right - downloaded it and have been trying it. It is great. Somehow I even set it up as my default desktop (although not sure how I did it!) Thanks!!
    ----------------------
    Well, I like that it's fast

I personally don't use it because I'm waiting for it to mature just a bit. There's one feature that I absolutely need in a WM, and XFCE just doesn't have it. That's the ability to maximize a window horizontally or vertically, but not necessaryily both at the same time. XFCE makes you either maximize the window to the entire screen, or waste your time resizing it. That drives me nuts. Aside from that it's a really great WM

It has a lot of features, too. Very configurable menu bar that you can move anywhere on the screen. It has it's own file browser and text editor which are very nice if you like those sorts of GUI tools, but I prefer the console myself.

It also has nice default themes, so you don't have to spend hours of tweaking to get something decent looking, like with some WMs (*cough*afterstep*cough*).

Oh, and my favorite thing about XFCE is that it's the only WM I've seen that lets you change the colors of the mouse cursor. If there's one habit that I just can't break from my 7 years of windows usage, it's enjoying the white mouse cursor with the black outline. I've just never gotten used to linux's black cursor with the white outline. XFCE lets me make it any color, but I particularly like white
    ;D

XFCE is great. I'm going to make it my default WM. Pretty, configurable and FAST- what else do you need?

Kind Mastermind

XFCE is great. *I'm going to make it my default WM. *Pretty, configurable and FAST- what else do you need?
    I like the fact that it uses the Gnome libraries, so you can run your favorite Gnome programs with very little problems. Of course, if you install the kde/qt libraries, you can run KDE programs as well. I really like it as well and I am considering making it my "one and only" WM, as well.

I like the simple, uncluttered looks yet it has sooo much to access. Left click on the screen and you have KDE and Gnome menus available also, not to count those areas you place yourself in the menu boxes. Truly great WM. Wish I had found this first. Thanks Feztaa!

I like the fact that it uses the Gnome libraries, so you can run your favorite Gnome programs with very little problems. Of course, if you install the kde/qt libraries, you can run KDE programs as well. I really like it as well and I am considering making it my "one and only" WM, as well.

You're welcome, you're welcome, I'm only trying to make people's lives better

Gee that quote could be the motto for Linux!
    You're welcome, you're welcome, I'm only trying to make people's lives better
    ;D ;D