Thread: Genealogy programs for Linux?

Genealogy programs for Linux?

Anyone know of a good genealogy program for Linux (Running Mandrake 8.1) ? Tried GRAMPS but by the time I got to the fourth level of dependencies I gave up. Thanks!

Re: Genealogy programs for Linux?

http://lifelines.sourceforge.net/

And I would suggest that you get a GOOD distro (Debian), so that you don't need to deal with dependencies.

Actually I have been thinking about switching to Debian but I am not certain my knowledge (confidence) level is high enough yet. I am firmly committed to Linux (in fact, this week I became 100% Linux - took WIN98 off completely) just not sure of which system to "settle down with." Based upon various comments Debian is near the top of my list already once I decide I can handle it. I know this "dependency hell" is getting to me. By the time I got to the fourth level I had forgotten which program was needed for which program and which came first. Needed either graph paper or a separate database!
    -------------------------------
    http://lifelines.sourceforge.net/

And I would suggest that you get a GOOD distro (Debian), so that you don't need to deal with dependencies.

How would debian solve dependency problems? Is it because of apt-get? It is avalible for Mandrake, too.

There are also rpm versions of apt-get and I believe 'drake 8.2 is going to integrate them with there little RPM installation program (see rpm-get and urpmi).

BTW, if you use that program for installing your RPMs, it will keep track of the dependencies for you and install them if they are on the 'drake cds.

Your have caught my interest with this post. Do you have apt-get installed now on Mandrake? If so, how easily does it run? Would be great to just turn it loose and let it download all I need - keeping track of all these is a pain!
    --------------

How would debian solve dependency problems? Is it because of apt-get? It is avalible for Mandrake, too.

There are also rpm versions of apt-get and I believe 'drake 8.2 is going to integrate them with there little RPM installation program (see rpm-get and urpmi).

BTW, if you use that program for installing your RPMs, it will keep track of the dependencies for you and install them if they are on the 'drake cds.

Bah! Apt-get runs best on Debian because:

a) It's native and you don't have to go through the painful process of porting it, because it's already there. And,

b) DEBs are actually better than RPMs. apt-get with a .deb would work better than apt-get with an .rpm.

How does the footprint compare with, say, Mandrake? (Debian I mean)
    ------------------------------
    Bah! Apt-get runs best on Debian because:

a) It's native and you don't have to go through the painful process of porting it, because it's already there. And,

b) DEBs are actually better than RPMs. apt-get with a .deb would work better than apt-get with an .rpm.

What, the footprint of apt-get and the footprint of rpm? Or the footprint of the two distros?

apt-get is 156k, and my /mnt/debian partition has about 1.3 GBs on it. I have no idea about 'drake, though.

(btw, my LFS system is 676 MBs. w00t! ;D)

Problem solved - got Gramps working - it is a very good program. Thanks for your help (and pointing me to Debian). Boy you Debian guys are loyal!
    Anyone know of a good genealogy program for Linux (Running Mandrake 8.1) ? Tried GRAMPS but by the time I got to the fourth level of dependencies I gave up. Thanks!

Actually, I run both Red Hat and Debian (Libranet). I've had problems with both when it comes to package management. Apt-get is good but definitely isn't prefect. I've hosed my system more than once using it.