Thread: What PC's should be used with Linux?

Elaiv

What PC's should be used with Linux?

Getlemen:

I have not migrated to Linux jet, It appears that Systems used with Linux are not fast and powerful (Lower to middle range). Probably because Linux is a beter OS than Microsoft and don't need such systems !.
    Why Linux is not used (generallY) on top of the line systems?
    Woudn"t it make sense to have the better OS in a fast and powerful system?
    Can anyone alaborate on it?i

Elaiv

Re:What PC's should be used with Linux?

Infact for most high-end servers *nix is used as the main operating system. However for most common user's computers Windows is the dominant OS simply because of it's ease of use. Alot of people use Linux on lower-end machines because unlike Windows you don't need to have a GUI to run Linux. That means that you can conserve space on the HDD, and also avoid the overhead of running a GUI. There are many more reasons though, these are just a few that I've listed. Also there are plenty of people out there that run Linux as their main OS on there super fast Athlon XP, etc, etc...
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

maverick

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNet
    ....Also there are plenty of people out there that run Linux as their main OS on there super fast Athlon XP, etc, etc...
    oh, oh!!! Thats me! ;D Linux on 1.33ghz T-Bird and Windows on 466mhz Celeron. :P

good to see you have your priorties right :P
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Bogler

I have found that it is more fun to run Linux on a reasonably fast machine. You can perform the more memory intensive operations faster and with better results (grip, compiles etc). I did have an older Linux machine but it was liable to hang now and then.

It is good to build your own machine (its like plugging lego bricks together) and then installing Linux. A real sense of satisfaction is gained from this and apart from that it is by far the cheapest option.

Most large corporations have *nix running at the heart of their enterprises, usually sun imho. They then use Samba to provide a nice, easy front end for the users. Products like exceed are also used extensively.

Hope this helps...

Bogler 8)